The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

You can't listen to someone who doesn't understand what pets can mean to you. It's like they are missing a gene, or something. Some folks are especially numb about birds. Does this guy tell dog owners to eat them? They are food in some culture! Just checking into BYC brings me joy and peace; having a flock like yours must be heaven on earth!

Funny you mention other cultures. My younger son has been living in South Korea for a few years teaching. His current apartment, supplied by the school, is very close to a place that processes dogs. He has to listen to the yelping all the time. We are horrified by that attitude, dogs in a huge wire basket, all piled on top of each other waiting to be processed, but that is part of their culture. I asked him if any Koreans kept dogs as pets. They live in such cramped quarters, generally, a concrete jungle of sorts, that there is little space for a dog, but he said they are in recent times beginning to take to the idea of keeping small dogs as pets, but it's not a huge thing over there.

Well, as far as heaven on earth, it has its moments. My little 6 year old D'Anver hen, Aimee, is a hoot. She flies to the front wire wall of her pen to get close to me, paces the fence when she sees me coming. She, Carly and Penny all insist on being held at the same time-thankfully, each one is literally a palm-full of chicken nugget! I'll often find my husband with all three in his arms. I adore those three tiny hens, absolutely adore them. They truly are a joyous trio of teensy hens and they brighten my days. I hate when hens are old and obviously failing, but most have had a generously long life here already and I have to remember that they've been loved and safe their whole lives and much better off than most.

By the way, June and Dusty are both acting very spry and both seem really good today! Dusty's crop is not bloaty. June's breathing is normal and both are fairly perky. Amazing that they are the same age. That spring nine years ago gave me quite a few great gals, including my Panda and Snow and the November prior to that spring gave me Gypsy and my beloved late Zane. An era will be ending when those girls are all gone.They've all been a blessing to us.

Last edited:
Carly is the teeny one on the left. She is just about 17 oz, almost Serama size. And she is head hen. She is the one who was beating the spurs off her rooster the other day, chasing him around the pen, flogging him. She is a little spitfire! That pic was in 2015, I believe. Penny, on the far right, is almost completely white in the hackles now from her molts. We call her Pocket Penny. And Aimee, in the middle, is so full of energy, honestly, we love those tiny hens. Aimee and Carly are laying now and I'm holding my breath to see if the go broody. Last time she laid, Aimee didn't, which was highly unusual. They've brooded together, once with Sissy, if I recall. Maybe it was one of the others, but there were three hens broody all at the same time. One took Sissy's chicks at three weeks old and kept them for herself.

Quote:
Tom and little bitty hens - adorable!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom