The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Tom and little bitty hens - adorable!
love.gif

Yes, all four are pretty adorable, aren't they? I just had both Aimee and Carly in my arms in the pen. I had to put them down and escape to get anything done!

Just about everything is done on my new coop. It's built, electric has been run, outdoor sockets installed, fans installed, water has been run, spigots installed, roosts put in. That's when I hit a snag. On the old coop, the 2" x 4" welded wire holes were large enough for the roosters to peck the rooster in the neighboring pen. I put up black plastic square hardware cloth with 1/2' openings between the runs to prevent the problem. At the time, it was an easy, very inexpensive solution.

I started looking for the same type plastic hardware cloth, and it is as expensive as the galvanized counterpart. I did order something that appeared to be similar, at least that was what the description said, only to discover it had been misrepresented, so I sent it back, and got a refund. I had decided to go ahead and get the galvanized hardware cloth, but for some reason, today I made a final effort to find the plastic stuff. PAYDIRT! I will call tomorrow to make sure the price is correct, and they have it in stock.

While the galvanized is best for the outside, I prefer the plastic on the inside. The main advantages is that it cuts smooth, so there are no wires, or sharp edges of any kind for the chickens to hurt themselves on, it's real easy to clean, and it's cheap.

This last Friday, I went in for a multitude of tests. UGH! At least they were able to schedule them all on the same day, and I didn't have to make multiple trips to get them done.

Glad you're about done with the coop Getaclue!

Haven't been posting much on this thread lately... We are having a heck of a time here with our dog lately... She has a calcium build up in her spinal column putting pressure on her spinal cord causing leg issues and other things... She is going to have to be put down in the next few days... So we have been spending lots of time with her lately... Anyways that's what's i have been up to...

Haven't been posting much on this thread lately... We are having a heck of a time here with our dog lately... She has a calcium build up in her spinal column putting pressure on her spinal cord causing leg issues and other things... She is going to have to be put down in the next few days... So we have been spending lots of time with her lately... Anyways that's what's i have been up to...
So sorry, that is rough. Dogs always break my heart in the end, but fill it with life, and joy while they are here. Putting them down is always a heart wrenching decision.

Oh, Isaiah, I'm very sorry about your dog. Our last one was 15 years old. She's been gone for over four years now, passed away one month after Suede died in 2012. I can't believe it's been that long. This is the hardest part of being a pet owner, whether dog or chicken. It's one reason my husband won't let us get another dog after the last two. But, I'm so glad we had the pleasure of their company all those years. Hugs to you, my friend.

Isaiah I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. No matter what the reason is it always somehow seems somehow wrong to have to put them down. It's something that we do because we know it's the right thing, and not because we want to do it.

It takes time to think beyond the last sad days to all the time that they gave us joy, but you will come to a time when you will remember her in her happier days with a smile.

Would love to see a picture of her :)

Thanks guys. We were hesitant to put her down cause we thought she might have longer but she started falling over when she attempts to walk now. It's is sad but we just gotta remember the good things! My grandma got her as a puppy from my aunt right before she died. After she died the dog went to live with our aunt for awhile and then she came here!

The picture of her digging in the water is from when we were at Lake Superior collecting agates and she decided she want to collect rocks too! So she would go dig out a bigger rock and bring it to us!

Last edited:
Isaiah, what a great dog! She is beautiful. You can tell she has a gentle soul. My Kes was a pointer/lab cross, just a marshmallow of a girl. Miss her a lot lately.

Re: the BR chicks that hatched over the past week or so. One of them that is with Bonnie is still not acting as spry as the other. I suspect it might be Athena's since one of hers in each hatch did not make it out of the egg. I don't know why exactly unless it has something to do with her recent hard molt. I thought she was fully recovered, even if she isn't at her full weight again yet.

Back
Top Bottom