The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

The more space there is to spread out the better. Providing some things to hide behind also helps. And make sure everyone goes in at night - Littles may feel intimidated about entering the coop at twilight.
I think mixing a lot of babies in it one time can be really helpful, as it seems to confuse the adult birds, they're not sure who they are chasing because the babies all run around squawking and flapping when one of them gets chased.

Sorry I haven't been here. I got locked out because for some reason, my email hit a glitch. It was one given to me by Rob when I was a moderator so others could not see my real one and it didn't like it because it said it got no response from it. Then, when I'd try my real one, it said already in use. ACK! So, I could not respond or like or anything since midday yesterday.

Lisa, that Orp and the little guy reminds me of Spike. He was a great daddy, but eventually, after raising BRs that bypassed him in size as they got to be 8 weeks old, he lost some of his patience with them, LOL.

When I was locked out, I was working on hand quilting the table topper. A shame more folks don't do this. If electricity is off, you can just sit by a window and get cracking!
DSC01013.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you are back, I was wondering where you went. :frow

On the few occasions I have lost my internet service I can get a lot more done in my life. That stitching was done by hand? That's incredibly straight. I sew like I'm drunk.

My oldest buff Orpington has always been a really great rooster. He's starting to get old and I think the buff Orpington rooster that is 2 years younger is now in charge, but I can't say for sure, the older guy can still run him off, but many times he defers to the younger one. He isn't ancient, I think he's 6 this year, but roosters seem to age quicker than hens.

Glad you are back, I was wondering where you went. :frow

On the few occasions I have lost my internet service I can get a lot more done in my life. That stitching was done by hand? That's incredibly straight. I sew like I'm drunk.

My oldest buff Orpington has always been a really great rooster. He's starting to get old and I think the buff Orpington rooster that is 2 years younger is now in charge, but I can't say for sure, the older guy can still run him off, but many times he defers to the younger one. He isn't ancient, I think he's 6 this year, but roosters seem to age quicker than hens.

Yup. It's the thing I'm best at in this world, I think. A guy we knew used to make handmade brooms and he would take his brooms and my quilted items when I hand pieced them, too, and sell them. He argued with one woman who swore there was no way that was hand piecing, had to be by machine. I don't think I even owned a machine back then.

My latest YouTube for those who are not subscribed. I really need to decide on something at some point, Barred Rocks or Brahmas if I keep only one breed-there may a few hens not the same breed as the rooster, but generally, one breed-or, just go back to a fun mixed flock of whatever, different breeds and crosses. There are pros and cons of each main breed I own, but for ease of management in the future, i.e., free range time for all at once except maybe the truly crippled ones like Neela and Panda who cannot handle rooster-love.
***Maretta is really going into Day 20 already. I set the eggs on Jan 5 in the afternoon so counted the next day as Day One, but going by the exact timing, she's already in Day 20.

Your crocheting is lovely too. Much better than I can do.
Thanks, Mary. I think the motion keeps my hands/fingers limber when I'm not quilting. I got some yarn at Hobby Lobby on Monday, plus some fabric. Tom had to go get a canvas and some new oil paints and brushes to get started on his project and that is the best place to get it.

Back
Top Bottom