The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

My latest YouTube for those who are not subscribed. I really need to decide on something at some point, Barred Rocks or Brahmas if I keep only one breed-there may a few hens not the same breed as the rooster, but generally, one breed-or, just go back to a fun mixed flock of whatever, different breeds and crosses. There are pros and cons of each main breed I own, but for ease of management in the future, i.e., free range time for all at once except maybe the truly crippled ones like Neela and Panda who cannot handle rooster-love.
***Maretta is really going into Day 20 already. I set the eggs on Jan 5 in the afternoon so counted the next day as Day One, but going by the exact timing, she's already in Day 20.
I love my mixed flock. You could always just decide on one breed roosters or swap them out when you want to breed so you still are breeding purebred on occasion. I find it was to manage the roosters while all my hens get combined.

Mom hand-sewed and quilted and knitted right through her illness. She was sure it kept her fingers limber.
Everyone needs something for their own sanity. Also, I think that counting stitches with crochet and having to do math for quilts keeps your brain active as well.

I always buy too much at the hobby lobby.:barnie

Haha, yeah, I know. I wish it was closer. It had been almost 2 years since we were there.

I love my mixed flock. You could always just decide on one breed roosters or swap them out when you want to breed so you still are breeding purebred on occasion. I find it was to manage the roosters while all my hens get combined.

I think that though I love the Brahmas and adore Bash, I would probably have to go with the Rocks for a great all-round farm flock, keep a BR rooster or two with them (which means not Hector and not Atlas and certainly not together), let them have whatever other breeds were still around. Or I could get hatchery pullets in breeds that don't lay the Rock-like brown eggs so I would not get them mixed up, like EEs or even Welsummers. Still have the pure Rocks, but also have variety.

Upside on the Brahmas: great broodies (but maybe too broody?), extremely cold-tolerant, not prone to frostbitten combs, easygoing and sweet, and of course, beautiful. Much easier to sell extras, and for more than the Rocks, due to these being a rare color variety.

Downside on the Brahmas: higher feed consumption, possibility of feathered feet being a problem at some point, though we didn't have issues with them in the past, no way to add other breed hens except maybe Orps because of the size of the roosters.

Your Brahma are some big birds for sure. I would have a hard time picking between the breed too. So definitely some pondering and soul searching is in order.

thinking about which roosters are your favorite, and maybe go from there.

You could have a nice diverse flock with a barred rock rooster in charge. A Brahma may squash too many hens that aren't Brahma, but you still could keep some Brahma hens.

I have so many birds because I can't decide, though I know what I don't like, games and turkens aren't my thing.

Your Brahma are some big birds for sure. I would have a hard time picking between the breed too. So definitely some pondering and soul searching is in order.

thinking about which roosters are your favorite, and maybe go from there.

You could have a nice diverse flock with a barred rock rooster in charge. A Brahma may squash too many hens that aren't Brahma, but you still could keep some Brahma hens.

I have so many birds because I can't decide, though I know what I don't like, games and turkens aren't my thing.

Yes, I don't want a repeat of Lizzie's leg injury and Bash might just be too much, though she is a big girl. My Stukel line BRs are the only hens I have now that might be large enough, but they are up in years and will be gone before Atlas is, probably. I would definitely keep my Brahma hens, no matter what rooster I have.

I don't like turkens or games, either.

No pips that I could feel this morning on Maretta's eggs. I'm not feeling too great. Had a cough and it's gotten worse, but it's sinus related, not flu. No fever, just tired from coughing and congested sinuses. Probably all that crazy up and down weather we've had-at least, it didn't help matters. At one point during the night, my sweet husband came and asked if I needed a glass of water. That settled it for awhile. I even made up my ACV tea with raw honey a couple days ago and have been having tomato soup for supper for natural vitamin C. Working on a quilt today, as long as I can do it.

Tom is so sweet. Jimmy sleeps like the dead, he doesn't even remember himself coughing let alone me :lol:

Cyn's problem is that she loves loves loves her roosters, I think she would keep a whole flock of them if she could!

I love the way Bash looks and acts, but am not tempted by huge birds that eat lots of food and frequently go broody - although I had room for that kind of eye candy I would keep some. That's why I got rid of my really great bantam cochins, pretty but very few eggs (and those small). They were probably both the best quality and prettiest birds I have had.

Cyn, my ABxDelaware pullet gave me a hard bite this morning, I was checking for eggs and disturbed her unforgivably in the nest box. Smarted! She is a great layer, started earlier than any of my other AB pullets and lays a pretty pale khaki egg. That Delaware bossiness came right out though.

Tom is so sweet. Jimmy sleeps like the dead, he doesn't even remember himself coughing let alone me :lol:

Cyn's problem is that she loves loves loves her roosters, I think she would keep a whole flock of them if she could!

I love the way Bash looks and acts, but am not tempted by huge birds that eat lots of food and frequently go broody - although I had room for that kind of eye candy I would keep some. That's why I got rid of my really great bantam cochins, pretty but very few eggs (and those small). They were probably both the best quality and prettiest birds I have had.

Cyn, my ABxDelaware pullet gave me a hard bite this morning, I was checking for eggs and disturbed her unforgivably in the nest box. Smarted! She is a great layer, started earlier than any of my other AB pullets and lays a pretty pale khaki egg. That Delaware bossiness came right out though.

Well, I guess you've met me, huh? LOL. Yes, I would. Ladyhawk said once that if roosters laid eggs, she'd keep only roosters. Yeah, that'd be me, but on the other hand, a lot of their valiance and awesomeness comes from the way they protect their hens, so you'd lose that aspect of it.

Funny you mention the biting pullet. Yesterday, Brandy, who has laid all of two eggs since coming back into production, bit me when I reached under her to check. Now, understand that Brandy is the absolute sweetest of all the Brahma hens. She is one of my perpetual broodies, too. I told her no way she was going broody now, she has to wait a couple of months, at least. Now, let's see if she listens.

@speckledhen
Most of us think of the flu as being intestinal - at least most folks in my area. But I guess that's not really the case.
Here is what the cdc says are the symptoms of flu...

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/consumer/symptoms.htm

The flu is different from a cold. The flu usually comes on suddenly. People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:

• Cough
  • *Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
  • Sore throat
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.

*It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever

Oh... forgot to say that I learned a new idea a couple months ago that I've been doing. It was suggested that since most the probiotics are killed by stomach acid, rather than swallowing them whole to open the capsule and pour the contents right in your mouth when you're having any sinus or throat issues. The idea is to keep it in your mouth/throat as long as possible without washing it down with food or water.

I've been doing that this season any time it seems that I may have a sinus/throat issue coming on and it really seems to help.

I keep thinking that many of the good/bad bacteria that folks would come into contact with would likely have been inhaled while working outdoors in the dirt, etc. (Or even taken in through the pores in the skin, or getting in the mouth, etc.) So it makes sense to me to have them in the throat and sinus as they may actually get to do their job before being killed in acid.

Last edited:
Sue, I still am sure it's not the flu. No fever or chills or extra fatigue. It's like not long ago when I had a minor dry cough at my regular appointment for checking my thyroid and my doctor gave me some fluticasone nasal spray. She said it was sinus drainage irritating my throat. I'm sure it's the same thing, just worse than last time.

Back
Top Bottom