The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Today is Day 21 for Maretta. There are four pips out of the six eggs that I can see. I guess they're going to be fashionably sort of late. Usually, my broody chicks seem to begin hatching on Day 20 except for the Blue Orps, who would usually start late on Day 21 and keep it up into Day 22.

I can't wait to see chick pictures :pop

Today is Day 21 for Maretta. There are four pips out of the six eggs that I can see. I guess they're going to be fashionably sort of late. Usually, my broody chicks seem to begin hatching on Day 20 except for the Blue Orps, who would usually start late on Day 21 and keep it up into Day 22.
I have always wondered if cooler external temperatures affect incubation. Maybe because it's been cooler out for you they are later.

I have always wondered if cooler external temperatures affect incubation. Maybe because it's been cooler out for you they are later.
I actually wondered that myself. Could very well be. I just went out there and looks like all six are pipped, but none hatched yet.

Two hatched and the rest are well-pipped. I'm seeing dark leg fronts initially so let's all hope that MaryJo is a pullet producer. Even if she is a dwarf gene carrier and I get a dwarf, the others can be sold as layers. Snapped a couple pics as best I could for now:
DSC01034.JPG
DSC01035.JPG

Look at those cute little stick legs.

Spring doesn't even start come around here until May, three Winters ago we still had snow on the ground on May 1st.

I remember living in Utah and having snow on June 2 one year. Been there, done that.

Maretta has four chicks out now. Will check in about an hour or so, then I'm going to close up the barn for the night.

My big girl first time Basque broody last summer was a little hard on the eggs - broke half the ones I gave her - and she squashed her first out chick as well. However after that she was a model mom, and raised the incubator chicks that I hatched out at the same time and put under her once she figured out what was happening. I was very glad there were eggs in the 'bator, though.

Back
Top Bottom