The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Those quilts are amazing!!!!!

Yes...Swedish Flower Hens.
Thank you, Sue. My husband laughed at me yesterday. I put the quilt on my bed and was trying to figure out my next move with it when I said out loud, "I said I was not going to make any more queen size quilts. I should never listen to myself."

And I'm putting them away for the night and going to lie down and drink some herbal tea. Drink first, lie down afterward, that is, haha. No spilling hot stuff on me. All I need is a burn.

I had SFH's one year. Pretty, but nuts.
Good to know. Don't need looney-tunes chickens. I already have Tiny. She's plenty. I'm going to bed and read and hopefully, fall asleep and stay asleep. Tomorrow, I'll check the food and water station in Maretta's pen, maybe be sure she poops and can drink something. Then, maybe we can guess how many pullet are among the six.

I've always had a bit of a mixed flock, I thought SFH were pretty- and they are- just not for me.

One of the roosters had the distinction of being terminated in front of some visiting friends. I went into a pen when they were visiting, and as soon as my back was turned he flogged me. I pushed him away and walked him around the pen, but he jumped me again when I turned away. I caught him in midair, flipped him over and gave him an extreme chiropractic maneuver, much to my friends shock. I explained that I would give any animal a second chance, he was unfortunate enough to have used both chances in one go. Not the genes I'm looking for.

Yay for 100% hatch :) the quilts look amazing, I love the buttercup one, it’s turned out really beautiful. Hope you get some rest and start feeling better.

Thank you, Kara. This a.m., Maretta pooped (like a dog, according to DH-her poop has been very solid all the way through, which means she's been eating enough) and drank and went back to her babies, which I had covered with a warm hand towel to keep them from panicking.

It looks like, from the dark wash on the leg fronts, that I may have four pullets and two cockerels. I don't even really bother looking at head spots on these as a primary indicator, doesn't work so well on the Stukel lineage. First, leg color, then to verify, add the head spot and down color, either very black or grayish-black. Hector's line is easier to sex by head spot, or was in the few I've been able to hatch. I just wish Jill would start laying again. With babies cheeping in the barn, you know the broody-crazies are bound to get started.

I've always had a bit of a mixed flock, I thought SFH were pretty- and they are- just not for me.

One of the roosters had the distinction of being terminated in front of some visiting friends. I went into a pen when they were visiting, and as soon as my back was turned he flogged me. I pushed him away and walked him around the pen, but he jumped me again when I turned away. I caught him in midair, flipped him over and gave him an extreme chiropractic maneuver, much to my friends shock. I explained that I would give any animal a second chance, he was unfortunate enough to have used both chances in one go. Not the genes I'm looking for.

LOVE IT! I agree with you on that count, Mary.

I found that my boys that were from Swedish lines were perfect gentlemen 100%. However, the newer line that was brought in from Germany were horrible. Even the females from the German line were not of good temperament. Probably Nazis.

I thought I was doing well to bring in a few from the German line to broaden genetics. None of them were keepers.

Back
Top Bottom