The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Is is an ink jet or laser? If a laser, you might just need to replace the drum.
It's an ink jet. It's been printing worse and worse in the photo department. Luckily I had bought a couple of extra inks a few months back with plans to print out a bunch of photos. Now :th:he

Oh, I was out with Maretta's six BR chicks. I have four pullets and two cockerels, pretty sure. Though one little pullet is the smallest, she looks normal to me at this point. She's not excessively small, just not quite as large as the other two.

Of course, the boys both will come right up to me (of course they do-I'm a rooster magnet) and the pullets are shy. BUT, I was holding a jar of grain mix on its side for Maretta to eat out of the jar, holding my hand with some in it next to the lip of the lid when one of the pullets jumped on her back and walked down to me and pretty much walked right into the jar to eat some for herself, LOL!

And a bonus photo of MaryJo. I needed it to advertise her chicks for sale when I offer them.
View attachment 1265090 View attachment 1265091 View attachment 1265092 View attachment 1265093 View attachment 1265094 View attachment 1265095 View attachment 1265096 View attachment 1265097
They are getting big.

Here I am again - hardly ever write but keeping up with Cyn and you all. I love knowing how you all are doing.
Since I care, I worry about you.

Very briefly - there are 2 people in my life who are very important to me who have been badly damaged by influenza virus. My dear son-in-law, a big handsome guy who ran his own business , is now on disability and waiting for a heart transplant after the flu attacked his heart. The only thing keeping him alive as he waits is a pump actually in his heart with wires running to batteries strapped to his side. My daughter has to change his dressings daily and rush him to the hospital whenever he has a crisis. We hope and pray for a transplant soon.
The other person is my boss who for the 25 years that I've known him has been profoundly deaf - caused by an attack of the flu which he caught as an adult. His best friend told me they were at a party, Mr K. came down with the flu and lost his hearing that very evening. He is very wealthy and has spent tons of money on the latest hearing aids and implants - all for nothing. He can read my lips - that's it. I just do not think anybody should take chances with their health when there is a vaccination that can prevent or at least reduce the affects of the virus.
OK, rant over. I'll go back to lurking. :)

Here I am again - hardly ever write but keeping up with Cyn and you all. I love knowing how you all are doing.

Very briefly - there are 2 people in my life who are very important to me who have been badly damaged by influenza virus. My dear son-in-law, a big handsome guy who ran his own business , is now on disability and waiting for a heart transplant after the flu attacked his heart. The only thing keeping him alive as he waits is a pump actually in his heart with wires running to batteries strapped to his side. My daughter has to change his dressings daily and rush him to the hospital whenever he has a crisis. We hope and pray for a transplant soon.
The other person is my boss who for the 25 years that I've known him has been profoundly deaf - caused by an attack of the flu which he caught as an adult. His best friend told me they were at a party, Mr K. came down with the flu and lost his hearing that very evening. He is very wealthy and has spent tons of money on the latest hearing aids and implants - all for nothing. He can read my lips - that's it. I just do not think anybody should take chances with their health when there is a vaccination that can prevent or at least reduce the affects of the virus.
Wow, I would never have expected the flu to do that to people. We always think it come and you are sick for a while, than you are better and life goes on. I'm so sorry that people you know and care about are struggling so. I for one will continue to get the flu shot, but I also respect those who choose not to as that used to my choice too.

Unfortunately sometimes life takes you on a ride you never expected. I now cherish every single day, you just never know what the next day will bring both good and bad.

That is horrible and I am sorry they were affected so profoundly, Robin. The problem is that the flu shot this year is not at all effective. 10-20% is basically a placebo. It may help in a minor way against the milder strain but the big one that is killing people, it is not touching. It would not have done a bit of good for them to get this year's shot. I'm betting many who died did take the shot. And there is evidence that it is even responsible for spreading the virus, according to some doctors.
I think the fear factor is a big thing, the desperation. I believe our government plays into that-after all, they get money for every vaccine administered. The ones who have heart and other vital organs permanently damaged by some virus are probably immuno-compromised in some way already. Flu viruses are not at all understood, IMO. They try to guess what the next strains will be the year before the season and this year, they completely messed up, apparently. People rarely used to die of the flu. Something has changed and the vaccines are not helping. Don't think I am telling anyone what to do, one way or another, please! I just am very skeptical of this and other recent vaccines and I choose to forgo them. I may change my mind at some point, but for now, this is my decision.

Again, I'm very sorry for your friends, your boss and son-in-law. I do wish you'd post more! I miss hearing from you!

Last edited:
Sorry Cyn but I respectfully disagree with a lot of what you said. The flu vaccine does not cause the flu - it is not made with an active pathogen and cannot infect you. Even though they guessed wrong this year, there are many different strains and there is the chance that the strain of flu a person is exposed to is the one in the vaccine and then would be protected. And the rest of us who do get the flu may be protected just enough to not get a serious case and keep us from developing the awful secondary damage that can happen. Even though, for some extraordinary reason, my friends and family have been affected, I think on the whole it very rarely occurs, but why play Russian roulette? I just wanted to point out that the flu can cause lasting damage, as well as kill you.

I do agree with you that there are good natural remedies, many of which you have mentioned, that really ease the symptoms and help you through it when you've got any kind of respiratory illness. I really appreciate your overall general knowledge about all things - and you are so good at sharing this knowledge with us all! Thank you!

Spring! Think Spring! I rearranged the blocks on this quilt so it wasn't so narrow and long, which meant I had to make one extra block for it to get 4x4 on the rows.
DSC01128.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry Cyn but I respectfully disagree with a lot of what you said. The flu vaccine does not cause the flu - it is not made with an active pathogen and cannot infect you. Even though they guessed wrong this year, there are many different strains and there is the chance that the strain of flu a person is exposed to is the one in the vaccine and then would be protected. And the rest of us who do get the flu may be protected just enough to not get a serious case and keep us from developing the awful secondary damage that can happen. Even though, for some extraordinary reason, my friends and family have been affected, I think on the whole it very rarely occurs, but why play Russian roulette? I just wanted to point out that the flu can cause lasting damage, as well as kill you.

I do agree with you that there are good natural remedies, many of which you have mentioned, that really ease the symptoms and help you through it when you've got any kind of respiratory illness. I really appreciate your overall general knowledge about all things - and you are so good at sharing this knowledge with us all! Thank you!

I understand your position, Robin. And you do what you feel you must as far as your health goes. But, I also have other opposing positions that you also may not agree with, such as not having chemotherapy for cancer. I don't believe it does anything except kill your immune system, like sending a cop into a robbery and he kills every customer in the store to make sure he gets the perpetrator. So, I've chosen never to undergo chemo if I ever have cancer. I feel it wastes a lot of time that could be better spent living what amount of days I have left. That, too, is a very personal decision and I'd never tell someone not to do it, not my place at all. There are doctors who are saying the same things I've said, it's not just me forming an opinion out of thin air. So much medical knowledge seems to be behind the times, IMO. I hope no one else in your circle is affected the way your boss and son-in-law have been! But, I don't think the flu shot would have done any good for them, at least this year.

I am continually amazed at your beautiful creative quilting and crocheting! And at the speed with which you turn these creations out! You just started this a couple of days ago - unbelievable! When I start a project (I only crochet) it takes me forever and I'm embarrassed to say I have quite a few UFO's. :p I seem to get inspired in spurts. But you get an idea, no pattern, and just barrel on through and finish it in days. AND you've been sick - I don't know how you do it!

Back
Top Bottom