The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I like the way he looks in that last shot especially. As for Deacon -
roll.png

Deacon is, well, Deacon. He's the son of the Tiny Terrorist. 'Nuff said. That hen was never supposed to be reproduced. So, he's 1/2 Delaware and 1/2 Terrorist.
lol.png

This is the picture I was looking for, the one that shows his single spur. It's a good one, if he could figure out how to use it. Defective as heck, this rooster, but he is a super sweet boy, actually likes to be rubbed down his back, a true "pet rooster".

Last edited:
Atlas has nice width, which will help keep wide hens. And his tail is so nice and full. Yes, high for a Rock, but really thick and full! He's a beautiful male Cyn. And Deacon, what a goober.

Atlas has nice width, which will help keep wide hens. And his tail is so nice and full. Yes, high for a Rock, but really thick and full! He's a beautiful male Cyn. And Deacon, what a goober.

Thanks for the assessment of Atlas. I think putting him over Dottie is the best course of action, better than over Rachel and Ro. I still may add Druscilla, Dottie's full blooded Stukel daughter, in the spring, but all plans are still fluid right now.

Deacon is a mess, but DH is so fond of him, that he'll be here for the duration. When Isaac goes, whenever that may be, I think I'll just put Deacon back over there and give him Sammie Jo, my youngest pullet, as an extra since all those hens are much, much older than Deacon.

Rachel has gone broody again. I've thrown her off the nest a few times, but the last time, I wasn't fast enough and she bit the fire out of my arm just below my wrist, drew blood. Dang her! I don't want to give her eggs because she's a first timer and Dottie is bound to go broody herself, listening to her daughter cluck like a loon. Also, my EE hen, Maretta, who is with Isaac, has been clucking for over a week. She isn't sitting yet, but she has been with Isaac on the floor every night so maybe her duties as she sees them will keep her from sitting on a nest and she'll break up.

We're about to go into some much colder weather in mid-January; been very mild so far, except for a few miscellaneous nights here and there-no the season for broodies, especially one unproven like Rachel. I was able to break her up the first time, but I don't know if we can be that lucky a second time.

Back
Top Bottom