The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

We have quilts from most of our own grandmothers, though they are too delicate to use.

DH opened the human door for Atlas. I heard him asking him over the monitor if he wanted to come outside. When he didn't, DH picked him up and stood him on the ground just outside the door. I don't think I've ever seen him move so fast to jump back inside, not since he jumped into the air to avoid a play-charge from Finn.
lau.gif

Cynthia, I so wished I lived closer to you! I would love to sit and learn how to quilt by hand. My stitches leaves a lot to be desired.
Lisa, what a nice picture of you in your avatar! You know, all it is is practice. I've been doing this since the mid-80's.

What a lovely quilt. My mom quilts, and does everything by hand - cuts pieces and quilts. Her quilts are works of art too.
I used to piece by hand, but I gave up quilting because my hands hurt too much. If I piece by machine, I can save my hands for the quilting part, but I'm learning how to machine quilt. So far, only straight lines. Free motion is making a monkey out of me at the moment.

Atlas's youngsters will turn six weeks on Monday and they are crazy with cabin fever, though they are still not feathered enough to stay warm today outside, sun or no sun, as you can tell in the photos I took today. They are ready to go to new homes, as long as someone understands they'll probably need heat a couple more weeks until they get all their feathers. I contacted my first refusal guy and whoever is left is available.

ALL the BR eggs under Maretta and Aimee have developed so five more are on the way (plus 2 D'Anvers).

They're pretty good looking boys. The girls seem to take longer to figure out, but none of them are fully feathered yet, so time will tell. Hope to get them sold within the next week or so. Just waiting on an answer from my first refusal guy to put up an ad for the rest of them. Sure wish you were ready for that son of Atlas! But there will be others, no worry.

Had to remove Rachel. Her integration back into the flock wasn't going well. It was exacerbated by having to be shut inside for over a week as well. She was losing weight, being kept from the feed too much, and she was actually injured, two lacerations across her back that DH did not notice-I haven't been able to go out to the coop in two days myself. So she is separated and when she is healed sufficiently, she will live with Deacon. Her barring is the least precise of the two girls so I don't need her in with the BRs as a breeder anyway.

ETA: Feb. 28. What a day. Anyway, I've listed the chicks for sale. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/955913

This is why we must allow the numbers to dwindle. If DH cannot help me (and this weekend, there was a day his blood pressure dropped and he was very dizzy, not a good way to try to walk in snow), I cannot handle all the multiple buildings myself.

Last edited:
"Sure wish you were ready for that son of Atlas! But there will be others, no worry."

ME TOO!!!
smile.png

Did the gentleman that had the first right of refusal decide not to buy a pair of the babies? In your experience how long does it normally take to integrate a hen back into the flock after she has raised her chicks? Is Rachel doing better now that she is with Deacon?

I know that you all are glad to have a temporary break from the freezing temps. Have the chicks been able to get out any not that it is so cold?

Back
Top Bottom