The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Ohh I am so ready for some broody hens!! I had 3 last summer, all three just one year old. Not yet… gotta have the new coop done...

We're on our 3rd day with no school due to weather. We got about 11 inches of snow, then it rained and freezing rained and iced all over the place. A branch fell out of the tree and busted the back glass of the car yesterday. Limbs down all over the place, including all over the edge of the run. That old white pine had a rough couple of days. It looks like someone sheared the entire side up about 30 feet.

fl.gif
for a broody for you!

Sounds like some hairy weather, but I remember the weather from when we lived in Dayton, Ohio many years back. Not something I want to go back to!

I'm ready for a broody who will actually get serious. Both Maretta and Wynette have been clucking for ages, but neither is actually sitting. And now, Ida is making broody noises. The first one who actually sits gets eggs. I have about 30 eggs from the last six days of Atlas's girls' activity ready and waiting.

Love your story about Atlas and the girls! I am so sorry for your recent losses.

Thank you. Sometimes, I guess the "it comes in three's" seems to hold true. It has lately after losing Isaac, then Deacon and then Dottie not long afterward. But, they will always have a place in our hearts and our memories and we'll never forget them. And there will be others to love in the future.

For quilt lovers, check out my new slideshow of a large number of quilts I've created over the last 30 years, though, not by any means all of them.
0.jpg

Last edited:
Wow - what a body of work!! I was oohing and ahhhing through the whole video! I know how time consuming and intricate all that is, not to mention the artistic creativity involved!! Well done!!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you. There were so many I made early on before the advent of digital cameras that I have no photos of. Some of those photos were actually scans of pictures I managed to find, and all those particular ones were hand pieced as well as hand quilted. I have no idea how I did that, so happy to machine piece now. At least, with the machine, I saved my hobby from falling to the wayside entirely due to my carpal tunnel issues.

Wynette is one of those sweet broodies with us. I just hope she doesn't become confused this time when the eggs start hatching and kill any chicks. I think what we'll do is move Atlas and his harem out into the new barn as soon as we can do that (we hope to have it ready to occupy before the hatch date) and let Wynette hatch her chicks in the current coop, then we can later move them into the barn later.

Wynette is one of those sweet broodies with us. I just hope she doesn't become confused this time when the eggs start hatching and kill any chicks. I think what we'll do is move Atlas and his harem out into the new barn as soon as we can do that (we hope to have it ready to occupy before the hatch date) and let Wynette hatch her chicks in the current coop, then we can later move them into the barn later.
Keeping my fingers crossed that Wynette will be just as sweet a mother as a sweet broody. Really enjoyed the videos...beautiful quilts!

Keeping my fingers crossed that Wynette will be just as sweet a mother as a sweet broody. Really enjoyed the videos...beautiful quilts!

Thank you! We ran out of lumber so have to get more before we can build the last two pens in the new barn, but in the meantime, we can do roosts and nests and other things that don't require 8' boards. And as soon as the interior paint is dry, everyone gets to move and let Wynette alone to do her thing.

Back
Top Bottom