The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Velvet lined roosts!!!!! LOL!!! Sounds like those would have been right up the alley of your little lavender princess. I am going to get busy and change out the 2x2s because yes, all of my girls are Orps and they are big ladies. When I took my first bumble foot to the ve,t she noticed that the hen had spots on both feet and she felt like it had something to do with the way the hens weight is distributed since the spots were in the same place. My first thought was, "Oh no, she is going to try to sell me some Avian Orthotics!!"

As always thanks for the advice my dear.

How are the babies this morning?

Velvet lined roosts!!!!! LOL!!! Sounds like those would have been right up the alley of your little lavender princess. I am going to get busy and change out the 2x2s because yes, all of my girls are Orps and they are big ladies. When I took my first bumble foot to the ve,t she noticed that the hen had spots on both feet and she felt like it had something to do with the way the hens weight is distributed since the spots were in the same place. My first thought was, "Oh no, she is going to try to sell me some Avian Orthotics!!"

As always thanks for the advice my dear.

How are the babies this morning?

I sort of agree that the way weight is distributed is part of what causes bumblefoot on some hens. My big flaming red hen, Meg, who was from heavy, breeder stock, in both her RIR sire and her humongous Buff Orp mother, had huge, fat-padded feet with her toes that weren't exactly crooked, but they had a slight curve outward. She had perpetual bumblefoot in both feet, numerous surgeries in her 7 1/2 years of life. She was probably the heaviest hen I'd ever owned, maybe 10-12 lbs by herself. And Emily, my black Rock, has some sort of tendon or ligament damage in one leg and her toes do not flex so she walks flat-footed on that side and always has bumblefoot at some stage, too. She is extra heavy for a Rock, more Orp-like in shape, feathering and size.

Some hens never get it, even in the exact same environment. Some are chronic like Meg and Em.

The babies are great. They will move to the coop today, earlier than I would normally do it, less than a week old, but we are on Day 12 with the Brahma eggs. I have to clean out the rabbit cage brooder a bit in prep for them coming along soon. Easy cleaning with the plastic bottom so it does make a good brooder, just not for more than a dozen chicks for very long. I am not a fan of crowded brooders.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that experience with Meg. The hens of ours that have it are the big round English type. The ones that don't have it are taller and a little more streamlined. I guess we need to buy stock in that Tricide Neo. LOL!!

Good luck with the chick move today!

Thanks for sharing that experience with Meg. The hens of ours that have it are the big round English type. The ones that don't have it are taller and a little more streamlined. I guess we need to buy stock in that Tricide Neo. LOL!!

Good luck with the chick move today!
Thanks, will have to do it w/o hubby, whose back is very bad right now. His last MRI showed multiple bulging discs, again, so his back is continuing to degenerate. And it's in crisis mode at the moment, but he said he's not sure it's his back or kidney (he's prone to the occasional stone); either way, extreme pain. I'm doing all the garden stuff, chicken stuff, etc. It makes me think of what I will do if I have to actually do it all alone one day, with no help at all. I may have to rethink a lot of stuff, even living on this property; either that, or will have to find a handyman to manage the land, fencing and the pasture. I am limited to a degree because I have osteopenia and already badly broke my ankle, as you know. Time will tell. I can't even finish the basement clean out that we started a year ago.

And my son who is still in the States is zero help. He's too busy playing music promoter/groupie in addition to his restaurant general manager position. (insert gigantic eyeroll here). He just went on some trip to Dayton, Ohio where he partially grew up when we were stationed at Wright-Patt AFB and then to Baton Rouge for what reason, I have no idea. I asked him if the two week trip was for work and his answer was just "no". No explanation. I bet I can guess. Something about some band. Sigh.

Have to add a picture of Meg. She was a force around here, sort of like Caroline, but even Caroline would have had to back down to Meg. And all it would take is that look down at her opponent with her hooded eyes. BAM!

Thanks, will have to do it w/o hubby, whose back is very bad right now. His last MRI showed multiple bulging discs, again, so his back is continuing to degenerate. And it's in crisis mode at the moment, but he said he's not sure it's his back or kidney (he's prone to the occasional stone); either way, extreme pain. I'm doing all the garden stuff, chicken stuff, etc. It makes me think of what I will do if I have to actually do it all alone one day, with no help at all. I may have to rethink a lot of stuff, even living on this property; either that, or will have to find a handyman to manage the land, fencing and the pasture. I am limited to a degree because I have osteopenia and already badly broke my ankle, as you know. Time will tell. I can't even finish the basement clean out that we started a year ago.

And my son who is still in the States is zero help. He's too busy playing music promoter/groupie in addition to his restaurant general manager position. (insert gigantic eyeroll here). He just went on some trip to Dayton, Ohio where he partially grew up when we were stationed at Wright-Patt AFB and then to Baton Rouge for what reason, I have no idea. I asked him if the two week trip was for work and his answer was just "no". No explanation. I bet I can guess. Something about some band. Sigh.

Oh, that makes sad that Tom is having such a hard time. I wish there was some way that I could help you, I really do. A handyman sounds like a good idea but I wonder how you would find one that you could depend upon? We did find a piece of land that we want to look at in Murphy so we might be neighbors sooner rather than later. :)

It is amazing to me that your son has time outside of his regular job to follow a band around. Does his wife go on the road too?

Have to add a picture of Meg. She was a force around here, sort of like Caroline, but even Caroline would have had to back down to Meg. And all it would take is that look down at her opponent with her hooded eyes. BAM!

They are both impressive! I bet Meg was a force to be reckoned with when she was broody.

Quote: I would love that! Murphy is my backyard, as you know. I have no actual friends in this area so I have to import them, LOL!

Quote: Yes, it amazes me, too. He even cooks for these low-level bands and takes them food. I know she's as much into these concerts as he is (and geez, she's 9 years older than him, only 11 years younger than me) but she has a manager's job at Party City so I don't know how much she can go on long trips.They squander money then moan about bills and not getting ahead. I'm thinking this band thing is his second teenager-hood. Not really sure. I could go on and on about both my sons but I'd rather talk about chickens. I'm more concerned with their father. I raised them, educated them, taught them right from wrong so whatever they do is up to them. I have my own life to live. I just wish they cared a little more about what was going on with us.

Quote: Meg never went broody, not once. I expected her to, with her lineage, but nope. She would have been a sweet broody with us, I bet. She took care of Suede when he was dying. They were like a long-married old couple. She'd groom him until he yelled "Uncle!" then groom some more. And she'd guard him while he napped near the end that last summer.

The dirty dozen

The SPOILED dozen! Omigosh, that bunch is still at it out in the coop. I was peeling potatoes and heard them cheeping all the way in the house. I went out there, just in case, sat on a cinder block that I left in there for that purpose and they just acted like, "oh, HI!", then went about their eating, drinking, playing and pooping again. They just want someone to WATCH them do it!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom