The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I love compost, and put a few tractor bucketloads of aged horse manure on my gardens each year. Those methods would not work that well here, as the soil is cold late into the spring and gets cold and wet early in the fall, In addition, the soil is just packed with chips and chunks of dolomite rock broken up ages ago by the glaciers and deposited along with pale grey thick clay. Really tough even to get grass to grow much here. My friend up the road has light, poor quality sandy soil, well-drained, and composted gardens would work great there.

Very true, not every method works in every location.

I love the back to Eden/ lasagna method here in eastern south Carolina. Sandy soil is terrible to grow in for the most part. I tried tilling in compost but still had not great results. So I looked into back to Eden style and gave it a shot in all my raised beds. It has been just over a year since I started doing this. Now my early results are fantastic. Less watering, weeding, and fertilizing. Along with all that greatness my spring salad crop, potato crop, and herbs all look 40% better then last year's at this same point! So far I'm sold on this method. Plus I now have a place for all of my fall thru winter chicken bedding to go without it building up in a giant pile, waiting for spring composting. Plus I'm sure there's more that I'm leaving out at this juncture.
Yay for spring!
David

I love the back to Eden/ lasagna method here in eastern south Carolina. Sandy soil is terrible to grow in for the most part. I tried tilling in compost but still had not great results. So I looked into back to Eden style and gave it a shot in all my raised beds. It has been just over a year since I started doing this. Now my early results are fantastic. Less watering, weeding, and fertilizing. Along with all that greatness my spring salad crop, potato crop, and herbs all look 40% better then last year's at this same point! So far I'm sold on this method. Plus I now have a place for all of my fall thru winter chicken bedding to go without it building up in a giant pile, waiting for spring composting. Plus I'm sure there's more that I'm leaving out at this juncture.
Yay for spring!
David
One of my best pals lives in Hopkins, SC. She has a huge garden, makes her own wine and raises chickens as well. BYC name is wekiva bird (Robin).

This lady is one of my favorites on Youtube. She is big into this type of gardening. Her name is Patara Marlow, used to be a backup singer for Ronnie Milsap and a gemologist on a shopping channel show years back. Now she has a homestead with chickens, goats, cows, etc. The channel is Appalachia's Homestead with Patara.
0.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I am subscribed to Patara's channel as well. I love watching her farm grow and change. Living in a subdivision, I live vicariously through others farms and homesteads
1f601.png
One of my best pals lives in Hopkins, SC. She has a huge garden, makes her own wine and raises chickens as well. BYC name is wekiva bird (Robin). This lady is one of my favorites on Youtube. She is big into this type of gardening. Her name is Patara Marlow, used to be a backup singer for Ronnie Milsap and a gemologist on a shopping channel show years back. Now she has a homestead with chickens, goats, cows, etc. The channel is Appalachia's Homestead with Patara.

Technically, we have a subdivision name, courtesy of the Floridian who bought a farm and subdivided it. The only restrictions are no pigs and no mobile homes, which is fine since I don't want either. But, I want to be further out than we are, even though we are very rural with acreage.

My neighbor down the road just came for a visit. He, and his wife train dogs for a living. He's got a Doberman that I fell in love with, and the dog is partial to me too. Long story short, after all the testing, the vet told them the dog is allergic to chickens. He's on allergy medicine now for it. Go figure!

Back
Top Bottom