The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Hyundai and Kia are the same company. Actually Hyundai owns Kia. Both brands have car models that match except for cosmetic differences. It's kind of strange, but in Louisiana Hyundai is a popular brand.

We've owned Kias for years, and aside from one brand-new Sorento that gave us an early problem that was easily fixed, they have been very dependable vehicles. We currently have a 2011 Sedona that we bought brand new, and it is our second Sedona. Hyundai and Kia with both give you a lot of bang for your buck and are dependable. Periodically I've had to tighten bolts on seat handles, but other than that, no major complaints. Also, gas mileage is okay, but not fantastic, but dependability trumps all in my book.

Thank you, Bruce. I thought they were dependable, and I do research, but like to hear actual personal opinions. My son drives a Kia Sorento, fairly new. He has a Hyundai Accent, but it's falling apart, probably due to his extensive commuting and heavy foot, plus he's a very big man in a very small car, which can't help! He's doubled the miles in the fairly short time he's had it. Door handle broke off and the other day when he got an oil change, the mechanic suggested he get rid of it soon."KIA" name has two bad connotations for me. First, being military, there's the "Killed In Action", LOL. Then, I knew a very unpopular girl in high school named Kia. Now, Hyundai, I can handle! We'd have two "H's" in the driveway since Tom drives a Honda CR-V. I've always thought they did an excellent job with their interiors. I hate super cheapie interiors.

ETA: We always drove GM vehicles and they were good for us, but the newer ones, I'm not fond of. I don't care for the Equinox SUV at all nor any of the sedans they've put out. My '96 Chevy Lumina was an awesome vehicle, drove it from 2000 until last year. Tom had a '94 Chevy Silverado 4x4 truck he sold before buying the CR-V. We've owned Buicks and Chevys for most of our married life. But time for a change. He did have a Ford Ranger for awhile, but not a 4WD, which was traded for the Silverado. He owned a VW bug, a '56, and a 68 Camaro when we met. And he even-traded a motorcycle for a 69 Opel Kadet, which was a little workhorse, and later, his dad bought it from us. But, mostly GM vehicles all my life. His dad was a Ford guy, then later, bought Buicks, which is what I drove before the Lumina.

Last edited:
@sumi ! Check out what my son said about finding housing in Dublin:

No, Dublin landlord. I am not sharing THE SAME BED with a total stranger for €325 euros per month. I'd rather pay €1,000 to have my own studio apartment.

Them Irish are a kinky bunch! :eek:
He's still in Seoul. He goes to Dublin in 2 weeks to find an apartment. Then he returns to Seoul for August and leaves again September 2.

Thank you, Bruce. I thought they were dependable, and I do research, but like to hear actual personal opinions. My son drives a Kia Sorento, fairly new. He has a Hyundai Accent, but it's falling apart, probably due to his extensive commuting and heavy foot, plus he's a very big man in a very small car, which can't help! He's doubled the miles in the fairly short time he's had it. Door handle broke off and the other day when he got an oil change, the mechanic suggested he get rid of it soon."KIA" name has two bad connotations for me. First, being military, there's the "Killed In Action", LOL. Then, I knew a very unpopular girl in high school named Kia. Now, Hyundai, I can handle! We'd have two "H's" in the driveway since Tom drives a Honda CR-V. I've always thought they did an excellent job with their interiors. I hate super cheapie interiors.

ETA: We always drove GM vehicles and they were good for us, but the newer ones, I'm not fond of. I don't care for the Equinox SUV at all nor any of the sedans they've put out. My '96 Chevy Lumina was an awesome vehicle, drove it from 2000 until last year. Tom had a '94 Chevy Silverado 4x4 truck he sold before buying the CR-V. We've owned Buicks and Chevys for most of our married life. But time for a change. He did have a Ford Ranger for awhile, but not a 4WD, which was traded for the Silverado. He owned a VW bug, a '56, and a 68 Camaro when we met. And he even-traded a motorcycle for a 69 Opel Kadet, which was a little workhorse, and later, his dad bought it from us. But, mostly GM vehicles all my life. His dad was a Ford guy, then later, bought Buicks, which is what I drove before the Lumina.
I can see why you won't buy a Kia with those bad reminders. I'm the same way when it comes to ANY Mitsubishi vehicle or product. The Japanese Zero that flew kamikazi attacks during WWII was built by Mitsubishi and was named the Mitsubishi-0, so I will have nothing to do with vehicles under that brand.

My first car was a VW bug, and my friends dubbed it the "Wonder Bug," not because it was such a great car, but because they would wonder what would go wrong with it next. :rolleyes: In all fairness, it was a great little car, and I loved that it was so easy to fix when something did go wrong, and I learned to do most of the repairs myself. Those air-cooled VW engines were tough little dynamos. Sadly, cars today are often not easy for a DIYer to repair.

My wife, Lisa, is the one who always goes back to Kia SUVs. They're roomy and hold up well. We've also owned three Nissan Altimas and a Nissan Frontier truck over the years. All of them we bought brand new. I'm somewhat of a neatnik and am big on maintaining equipment and vehicles; that's why I usually prefer new vehicles. The higher initial cost is worth it to me since I take care of my cares and keep them up. For example, my 2010 Altima still looks like a new car, and the motor is in tip-top shape.

I just bought a used 30-year-old rear-tine tiller yesterday, and although everything on is probably fine, I'm already planning to replace the carburetor, replace the drive belt, tune it up, and give it a thorough lube. An actual new carburetor for the Briggs & Stratton engine on the tiller is only about $10 more than a rebuild kit, so it's better to replace the carburetor altogether. That's money well spent. I try to stay ahead of the game if I can. Unexpected breakdowns drive me crazy - with cars, with equipment, and with chickens! :lol:

No, not quite that friendly! Yikes!

The man who bought my Lumina was thrilled to get it. He had no car to get to work and had two kids to support, no wife. We told him all that was wrong with it, but it looked new inside and out and drove like a dream. He could not believe his luck to get something like that for $750. I got my money's worth out of it and hopefully, it will be a good one for him for quite awhile, but it was almost impossible to find tires to fit it for some reason. We only bought used tires because we don't drive all that much, normally, but it was always a pain to find any. It was a 3.1L V6, got 22 city, 28-30 hwy, which is about the same as the CR-V, which has only a 2.4L engine (AWD messes with the mileage a tiny bit).
My Lumina had the most comfortable seats even after all that time. The Honda's seats ride hard after an hour or so, good back support but the seat itself it like a board. The Nissan's seats are much more comfy and from the looks of the Hyundai's seats, I'd say they might be good ones as well.

Just checked on her, and she has a second chick out that is up on its feet, although not completely dried. Several other eggs were peeping so I only took a quick peek. She is 4 or 5 years old and never been broody. Hatching continues in the incubator as well.
The Stukels for the most part go broody later in life, though Dru has never been broody.

Thanks, I sent him the links.

Back
Top Bottom