The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

@aquila great picture! Pretty pullet (and you), too! My high school album was called The Aquila, had forgotten that.

Oh, I see a single combed Wyandotte! I had one in my original flock, my Lorelei! What a great hen she was.

Thank you! And yep, the single combed girl is our Dot. She's a bit of an oddball but a great hen for sure! We got another single combed slw in this year's batch of hatchery chicks, too.

I wonder if it's too soon to put these chicks in the little coop. That's the 4x8 (really, inner measurements are more like 3.5' x 7.5') coop that has all ventilation up very high. I can put a heat lamp with a backup reptile bulb and two waterers out there as well. I think one waterer for 17 growing chicks is really not enough, or won't be soon. I don't recall moving chicks less than two weeks old out to a brooder coop. Mine are only about 5 days old now.

I would, I have brooded chicks in my shed in colder weather. Just set your heat lamp to the proper height. They should be fine.

I was betting you had, Lisa. They are little heathens, pulling on the paper towels trying to rip them up, etc. And no way I'm putting shavings in my quilt room! Bad enough I have chicks in here. So, I'm setting it up for them so they have a backup heat source if one goes out on them. They'll get all that sunlight from two big windows in there, make 'em grow faster, I bet, LOL.

I would also make a smaller space for them, with a solid barrier, even cardboard to limit them to close around the heat source and to reduce drafts. The barrier can be expanded or removed as they get bigger.

They're out there. It's really warm in that small coop-the afternoon sun beats on the back long wall (no windows, period, just a long, darkly painted wall and nothing blocking the sun). There are absolutely no drafts, no openings other than the human door, which fits fairly tight and the sliding pop door. No opening windows, just stationary ones and long multiple vents up high on two walls, which can be open to varying degrees, all or only one at a time. There is also a thermometer in there. It is reading 80* high above the heat lamps. No one is under them at all. They're running all over the place on that end of the building. I clustered food, both waterers and the heat lamps on that end. Remember, it's maybe only 3 1/2 ft wide with huge windows to let in sun on the east and southern sides. It's really an ideal coop in which to brood young chicks. I just don't recall taking any out there this young without a broody mama. I'll take a picture for you in a few minutes.

Here are some pics. Noticed I need to replace the hardware cloth guards on those fixtures which are usually on there. They're in the barn, going after them as soon as I upload these for you. DH installed a paper towel holder for me today. Messy poop on the feeder sometimes calls for clean up supplies!
DSC01527.JPG
DSC01528.JPG
DSC01529.JPG
DSC01530.JPG
DSC01531.JPG
DSC01532.JPG

Here are some pics. Noticed I need to replace the hardware cloth guards on those fixtures which are usually on there. They're in the barn, going after them as soon as I upload these for you. DH installed a paper towel holder for me today. Messy poop on the feeder sometimes calls for clean up supplies! View attachment 1349847 View attachment 1349849 View attachment 1349851 View attachment 1349853 View attachment 1349855 View attachment 1349857
They definitely do look happy out there. Lots of room to run and exercise now.

Back
Top Bottom