The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I've never actually brooded any muscovy. The hens did it all. I was vaguely thinking about giving these geese to a broody muscovy. I have read some do that.

They shouldn't be brooded with chicks? I read an article that said someone did that, but it sounds iffy.

What feed type do I need? Can they be raised on a a non medicated chick starter, or should I get a flock raiser?

Will they get along with my chickens mostly? There's a bit of back and forth between my muscovy and chickens but generally nothing serious and birds can get away. We did butcher a muscovy drake we bought at a swap because he kept attacking a rooster and ripped his comb off. I don't know how he was raised. So far my young muscovy drakes are leaving the chickens alone mostly, but I got my eyes on them.

I don't brood with chicks, just because even if you do use a homemade gosling waterer, they still get the brooder a bit wet, and chicks don't handle that well. Plus, they grow so fast, they could accidentally hurt a much smaller chick just by stepping on it accidentally.

I personally use either an All Flock feed or I use Naturewise Meatbird, which they do really well on. It does have a protein percentage of 22%, but that's actually not too high, and I've never had any develop angel wing on it.

I think breed choice plays a role in how well they'll get along with other poultry. I have never once had a problem with my Romans, and Sebastopols and Americans are also supposed to be very docile and friendly. There are some more high strung and aggressive breeds that might cause problems, like Chinese.

I don't brood with chicks, just because even if you do use a homemade gosling waterer, they still get the brooder a bit wet, and chicks don't handle that well. Plus, they grow so fast, they could accidentally hurt a much smaller chick just by stepping on it accidentally.

I personally use either an All Flock feed or I use Naturewise Meatbird, which they do really well on. It does have a protein percentage of 22%, but that's actually not too high, and I've never had any develop angel wing on it.

I think breed choice plays a role in how well they'll get along with other poultry. I have never once had a problem with my Romans, and Sebastopols and Americans are also supposed to be very docile and friendly. There are some more high strung and aggressive breeds that might cause problems, like Chinese.
I think I had decided not to brood with my chicks last week when I saw a picture of a 4 week old goose next to a dachshund and they were about the same size. :)

I am getting American buff. One male and three females. Hopefully.

So a chick starter isn't good because of the protein or the vitamin content? I gotta pick one feed type for the chicks and goslings.

I read I should give them grass too. Right away? Do I need to get some grit? Would a gallon waterer work? It has a fairly deep drinking well. Otherwise I see dishes with holes cut out for waterfowl.

It's hard to get this stuff ready with use of only one arm. :rolleyes: Gonna need to put the husband to work.

I have two options, larger brooder or smaller the first week. One is roughly 2x2 the other is like 2x6 for 4 geese. I thought first week in the smaller one. Are they zippy like chicks or stumbling and slow like turkey poults that first week?

I think I had decided not to brood with my chicks last week when I saw a picture of a 4 week old goose next to a dachshund and they were about the same size. :)

I am getting American buff. One male and three females. Hopefully.

So a chick starter isn't good because of the protein or the vitamin content? I gotta pick one feed type for the chicks and goslings.

I read I should give them grass too. Right away? Do I need to get some grit? Would a gallon waterer work? It has a fairly deep drinking well. Otherwise I see dishes with holes cut out for waterfowl.

It's hard to get this stuff ready with use of only one arm. :rolleyes: Gonna need to put the husband to work.

I have two options, larger brooder or smaller the first week. One is roughly 2x2 the other is like 2x6 for 4 geese. I thought first week in the smaller one. Are they zippy like chicks or stumbling and slow like turkey poults that first week?

Vitamin content - goslings grow so fast, they need a ton of niacin to support proper leg growth. Without added niacin, they are extremely prone to leg issues. An All Flock or the Meatbird would work for both the chicks and the goslings - I feed all mine the Meatbird and they all do really well on it.

I also found that goslings do really well on ratite feed for the same reason, it has tons of niacin to support the growth of the legs on those big, big birds. But that's just a little fun tidbit, you don't have to try to track down ratite feed for them, lol.

They love grass, and they can have it right away if you want :) I usually start taking mine outside to graze after a week old. Being out there, they also find any grit that they need too, so I don't add grit.

I'd probably go with making a waterer over the one gallon. Even with a deep well, they will still be able to splash it out. Since I've started making the waterers out of one gallon milk containers with just a small hole cut in the side, the brooder has stayed a lot drier. And goslings are also usually less splashy with their water than ducklings are, which is nice.

They're pretty slow, not very zippy, haha. I think the 2 by 2 would be fine to start them in.

Well, as for geese I know you need to keep more than 1! :D

They are excellent watchdogs, maybe too noisy for some, just like Guineas. They also do like to make a big wet mess given the chance. My friend had a pair and the male would attack anyone getting out of a car except her - and me, after I caught him by the neck a few times and held him at arms length until he realized he was beat. Then he would avoid my car.

I seldom come on here except a few threads with people I know, just because I can't stand the rampant ignorance. It is crazy how people will credit someone's knnowledge without knowing a single thing about them, and disregard the wisdom of the experienced and honest. The Internet is great for stupidity, and the spread of false information, since people seem to hear only what they want to hear. Similar to what's going on in general nowadays.

Thanks Cyn but I have so many things going on right now I just do not need another project. Right now I'm fussing some as we have to go to Wisconsin for a funeral this weekend (7 hours each way), and my chicks are supposed to hatch on Sunday :barnie. I do have a housesitter, but I'm going to be a worrywort all weekend!

Well, as for geese I know you need to keep more than 1! :D

They are excellent watchdogs, maybe too noisy for some, just like Guineas. They also do like to make a big wet mess given the chance. My friend had a pair and the male would attack anyone getting out of a car except her - and me, after I caught him by the neck a few times and held him at arms length until he realized he was beat. Then he would avoid my car.

I seldom come on here except a few threads with people I know, just because I can't stand the rampant ignorance. It is crazy how people will credit someone's knnowledge without knowing a single thing about them, and disregard the wisdom of the experienced and honest. The Internet is great for stupidity, and the spread of false information, since people seem to hear only what they want to hear. Similar to what's going on in general nowadays.

Thanks Cyn but I have so many things going on right now I just do not need another project. Right now I'm fussing some as we have to go to Wisconsin for a funeral this weekend (7 hours each way), and my chicks are supposed to hatch on Sunday :barnie. I do have a housesitter, but I'm going to be a worrywort all weekend!
I can't stand guinea. Hopefully they are that irritating. :). I am willing to grab someone by the neck if necessary too. Sounds like I'm gonna really love these geese or hate them.

I would not want to leave hatching eggs either. Have a safe trip. :hugs

I think I need to stop giving into the urge to add my two cents to posts. No one ever listens to me anyways. :hmm

Vitamin content - goslings grow so fast, they need a ton of niacin to support proper leg growth. Without added niacin, they are extremely prone to leg issues. An All Flock or the Meatbird would work for both the chicks and the goslings - I feed all mine the Meatbird and they all do really well on it.

I also found that goslings do really well on ratite feed for the same reason, it has tons of niacin to support the growth of the legs on those big, big birds. But that's just a little fun tidbit, you don't have to try to track down ratite feed for them, lol.

They love grass, and they can have it right away if you want :) I usually start taking mine outside to graze after a week old. Being out there, they also find any grit that they need too, so I don't add grit.

I'd probably go with making a waterer over the one gallon. Even with a deep well, they will still be able to splash it out. Since I've started making the waterers out of one gallon milk containers with just a small hole cut in the side, the brooder has stayed a lot drier. And goslings are also usually less splashy with their water than ducklings are, which is nice.

They're pretty slow, not very zippy, haha. I think the 2 by 2 would be fine to start them in.
So I just cut a single hole in a milk jug? How high up? How big around?

I can't stand guinea. Hopefully they are that irritating. :). I am willing to grab someone by the neck if necessary too. Sounds like I'm gonna really love these geese or hate them.

I would not want to leave hatching eggs either. Have a safe trip. :hugs

I think I need to stop giving into the urge to add my two cents to posts. No one ever listens to me anyways. :hmm

WHAT??? I listen to you , I think everyone does, aside from liking someone, there's very little that tells anyone that their posts are read.

I think american buff is good to get. And your ratio of male to female is good.

Back
Top Bottom