The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Michael won't lower himself to work at a box store, I bet. He never does what is necessary, only what he wants. Wasn't taught that way, I can assure you.

Hector is rough, yes. He chases them away. If he goes to tread one and she pulls away, he flogs her. They don't like him other than Zara, so Zara makes no sense. She gets along with him very well. His daughters and Athena and Wendy try to avoid him like the plague. He's never earned loyalty with any hens other than the ones he grew up with for some reason. I can imagine that he may have a hurt one of them, but both? And Zara makes no sense because she has not had an issue with him, but I saw her hiding from him before I pulled him from the pen. She sat under the roost when they went to free range and when they came back inside, she did her best to stay away from him.

Maybe he didn't hurt them initially, but since something is wrong, his advances are painful to them. That's all I can think of in the way of an explanation.

Doing whatever is necessary to provide, is not lowering oneself.

Agree with both statements.

Working on making sure we don't have the mess we had the last two years. Some squash is about ready to plant now. I think we'll have one more night in the next two weeks around freezing, but we can plant the larger tomato plants and put cages around them and then, if need be, cover with plastic feed bags overnight. We have more plastic left, too.
DSC06505.JPG
DSC06506.JPG
DSC06507.JPG
DSC06501.JPG

I see this Friday and Saturday nights, lows projected to be 33* so a little sketchy for our loaded pear tree. If it isn't already wet from the rain that is also forecast, we'll wet it down good prior to temps falling.

I had loaded up my online cart at Walmart Grocery and tried for days to get a slot. Then, last night at about 11 p.m., two slots said they were open late today. I tried for the first one and it said booked, but got the second one between 7 and 8 p.m., pretty late, but still, best I could get, better than nothing. Between Amazon Pantry and Walmart Grocery, we still will not have spent as much as our usual payday grocery trip. Just want to make sure we're very well-stocked, even with their general limit of 2 each for most things I ran up against. I was happy I didn't have to stay up until after midnight. Generally, on Sunday nights, we watch The Rookie so I was up at 11 p.m. anyway. Still have to go get shavings at the co-op in a couple of days.

I'm glad you were able to get a time slot.

Me, too. You and a subscriber on my channel both said the same thing, to check back after midnight. I got my slot by 11 p.m., but would not have even thought to do that if you hadn't said something, so thanks, Cheryl.

The older son called last night. Seems it's unlikely his restaurant will reopen at all. So he's desperate and out of a job. He has zero $$ put aside, no food reserves, nothing. He may end up declaring bankruptcy as I'm sure many will be doing soon. This ain't pretty, what we are in now, and I am so thankful that I married a man who had foresight at less than 23 years old to make a career of the military so he'd have a pension at the age my older son is now and be able to have a second career after that.

Walmart still has no openings for grocery pickup today or tomorrow. I joined Amazon Prime and made an order, though it will not be delivered for a week or two. They have very limited grocery items that we use, but it's a second alternative and items rotate and pop up all the time. I hope it will be worth the cost of the annual membership. Just another choice.

Gotta get out to the barn. I put Hector in the back pen with Jill and Thea. Zara is not acting right, did not leave the pen when I allowed them to free range, just sat under the roost. I wonder if Hector is being super rough with them. He doesn't want any hens other than his original two so his wish is granted. Jane spent the night in the hospital cage. She doesn't want to eat.

I have amazon prime, had for years. With their groceries, I order frequently and if the order says 2 weeks or so I end up getting it in a week.

Back
Top Bottom