The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

One of the little bantam Cochin roosters CROWED this morning! They're just 5 weeks old. Not sure if it was Gunnar or Bodi, but he did it three or four times. Nothing cuter than a teensy boy crowing so early. I've had a rare cockerel crow at less than a week old, so adorable, you don't even recognize it for what it is at first. They raise up to their full height and issue this squeaky, "Buh-REEEET!"

I am noticing something here on BYC that burns my buttons. It's Spring. Spring is when, not only chickens, but most wild birds tend to hatch out babies. Of course there will be eggs, and/or little ones that fall out of a nest. There will be increased incidents where the mother gets attacked by a predator bird, and is unable to care for her nest, whether it be eggs with live birds inside, or baby birds.

There have been a few posts, where people are rescuing the eggs/baby birds, and asking for help as to what to do to care for them. In most instances, it's how to meet their dietary needs.

Instead of offering help, far too many are letting them know that they are in violation of Federal Laws regarding wild birds. They turn the posters' kind hearts, into criminal activity, with a few strokes of the keyboard. Yes, we all know that they should contact a licensed rehabber, or a wildlife agency, BUT that may not be an immediate option, especially on weekends. Their need is more immediate, in regards to keeping the critter(s) alive, until other actions can be taken. I'm sorry, but it's mean spirited to instantly condemn these people.

Climbing off my soap box now.

Super cute. Reminds me of when we raised AKC Dobermans.

A flock leader is emerging in the almost six week old flock. They were all dustbathing in a pile outside the barn door when Tom put our 13 yr old crippled splash Ameraucana, Snow, on the ground about 2 ft away from the chick pile to watch. She was calming watching the chicks flop around. Suddenly, one of the splash bantam Cochin boys, Gunnar, the one who has been crowing, shot out from the group, stood about 5" from Snow, raised to his full height and whatever he was about to do, he didn't get the chance. As Snow began to raise up on her legs and her hackles flare, Tom snatched her up before her thunker could do damage, LOL. He reminded me of a very young Hector in that moment!

There have been a couple threads about cleaning/disinfecting coops. I recently responded to one, because the product being considered for use, was highly questionable. No, there was no disease, or illness being the reason for the cleaning.

There were such comments as "dry chickens are healthy chickens". No need to use anything but water, if there is no illness, or disease, etc. What a bunch of hooey.

One of the better, safer choices on today's market, is plain old Dawn Blue original dishwashing liquid. Remember all the pictures of it being used to clean the animals affected by the Alaskan oil spill?

Anyone that shows chickens, know they have to be bathed properly, mild soapy water (preferably Dawn Blue), a very diluted vinegar rinse to restore pH balance, and remove any soap residues, and followed by a plain water rinse, toenails cleaned, pedicures done, legs and combs get a thin layer of petroleum jelly, or bag balm, etc. This does NOT hurt the chicken when care is taken, and they don't get a chill. This can actually be beneficial.

Usually when it warms up in the Spring, I clean down my coops too. Because I don't want extra moisture during the winter, the coops, and roosts tend to need a cleaning in the Spring. Once again, I mix the equivalent of dishwater like you'd wash your dishes with, using water, and Dawn Blue original in a tank sprayer, and spray down the coop, including the wire. The roosts are wet down with plain water, then I wait a couple minutes, and wet them again, until everything is loosened up, and most of it is rinsed off. I then spray the roosts down with the dishwater solution, and use a stiff brush to clean the roosts. Once everything has been cleaned, it gets a final rinse. I even spray a light layer of the dishwater solution on the dirt flooring in my coop, and rinse it in good too. All feeders, water buckets, etc. are removed, and cleaned at the same time.

I try to do this, twice a year. I have found that keeping a clean coop, helps with preventing mite problems, spiders, mold, mildew, etc. Yes, sprays, and dust products are available to treat mites, and other bugs if/when they get out of control, but they are a lot more toxic than Dawn Blue. Yes, there are products for treating mildews, fungus, and other things, but once again, they tend to be much more toxic, and harsh. I find that keeping a clean coop, goes a long way as a preventative, so it's rare that I have to use anything else.

I think most of us on this thread are experienced enough to know the importance of keeping a clean coop, but wanted to post a reminder.

Back
Top Bottom