The Expecting Chick Momma Thread

The
Thanks! You do see a few Easter Eggers but I have no idea which!:) We're completely new to this! We ordered 4EE, the rest Wyandotte (2 columbian, 2golden laced, 2silver laced) and got the Meyers Meal Maker. I'm going to have to do some research and figure out which ones are which:)

The easter eggers are the ones with greenish legs that look like chipmunks.

Omg! I woke up twice during the night to check on them and they were doing fine and when I got up this morning, their food dishes were empty and they only had a tiny bit of water left. There was bits of food on the brooder floor they could have found if they needed to but I cannot believe they ate all the food I put out for them! I will not go all night without adding food and water! I gave them fresh water and food soaked with water. A few chicks drank 5 and 7 times in a row! Now I am nervously watching them all to be sure they are ok.

My runt is doing excellent. She is bossy, she may just end up being the leader.

Omg! I woke up twice during the night to check on them and they were doing fine and when I got up this morning, their food dishes were empty and they only had a tiny bit of water left. There was bits of food on the brooder floor they could have found if they needed to but I cannot believe they ate all the food I put out for them! I will not go all night without adding food and water! I gave them fresh water and food soaked with water. A few chicks drank 5 and 7 times in a row! Now I am nervously watching them all to be sure they are ok.

My runt is doing excellent. She is bossy, she may just end up being the leader.

Wow! How many chicks do you have? I have 10 and I've had them for 2 days and haven't had I full their feeder yet. Mine is one of the long ones though. Do you use mason jars?

I was just using a makeshift feeder and waterer out of plastic egg crates. I now have the glass canning jar type feeder and waterer. I had to put the feeder on a block of wood to raise it because they scattered the contents of the entire feeder all over the brooder floor. Very messy. Now with it raised they haven't even dropped one piece of food. I put little rocks in the waterer base because it looked a little deep to me.

I'm expecting my 10 chicklets tomorrow! Getting excited. Here is a pic of my brooder in garage.

Last edited:
I'm expecting my 10 chicklets tomorrow! Getting excited. Here is a pic of my brooder in garage.

My 10 are expects today. We are super excited. We have 10 week old chicks in our brooder in the garage now. But our newbies will have to be seperated until I feed through my bag of medicated. My new chicks were vaccinated for cocci, my week olds were not. I'm actually a littler bummed about the vaccine because of having to seperate them. I bought the 50lb bag expecting to feed 20 only to find I can't feed mediated feed to vaccinated chicks. We'll see how they do. I've had a cocci outbreak before, everyone survived with corid in the water.

I'm new to chicks and am getting (6) week old chicks tomorrow. The are straight run, I think that's right
hu.gif
So it will be fun trying to figure out what there are. I do know that they are a mix between Rhode Island Red's and Leghorn's, from some friends of mine
jumpy.gif
I'm so excited I can hardly wait. My husband started building my coop yesterday.
yesss.gif
The only thing that I'm worried about is that they have been with a mother hen since they were born, and now I'm going to take them away from her. Do you think they will be ok?

Hi all :) I have 15, straight run, barred rocks coming in, well about a week and a half now and can't wait. It's been years since I've had chickens and so much has changed. I am learning so much from all of you, huge thanks :)

I am using a big lawn mower box and think, after 3 trips to the Farm and Tractor Store, I finally have all I need to start them for the first few days/week?! I thought my box was high enough so my house kittie wouldn't be able to get in it but was so wrong as I found her sitting in it this morning :eek: Off to the store I went again, trip 3, for hardware cloth, clippers, and zip ties, to make a top for the box :p

Things seemed much easier 20 or so years ago LOL I also had 6 kids and a hubby to help then and was MUCH younger ;) I really have missed having livestock though. I used to have a chair by the coop and run and sit for hours and watch them all play :)

I really wish I could've ordered all pullets and found a rooster trade here at the swaps in NH but the company that does the small orders quite inexpensively, is only doing straight runs now...kinda late in the season I guess for ordering!

I DO have a question...I posting it in the bedding post a little bit ago and haven't heard anything yet...maybe it's too soon? I got some mixed shavings for free at a local mill that cuts fresh trees for the lumber mills so no chemicals. I thought they had all soft woods, but in driving by it, on one of my trips to the store for more supplies I had forgotten, I think I saw some hardwood trees and the store guy said not to use hardwood shavings. Asked him why, but he didn't know. I did read on here that some people DO use hardwood shavings...so not sure if I should use what I have or not???? Want to get it into the box and put the heat lamp to it, as it was a bit moist when I got it and want it thoroughly dry for my little ones...anyone know if it's toxic or something horrible like that? Or is the store just trying to sell me something else??? I have been there 3 times in as many days LOL ;)

Back
Top Bottom