The Expecting Chick Momma Thread

So exciting mithious! I think they disadvise hardwood shavings for bedding because they are less absorbent? Cedar shavings are really the only one I know of to be cautious about (only use them in a well ventilated brooder/coop).

I love when they pancake-pile lol

My chicks have arrived. Niw I'll get nothing done. :).
A pic in black and white as the red heat lamp isn't good for pics. They are really liking their new home.

does anyone know if you can mix hens and their chicks? I have hens co raising a clutch of 8 chicks. Now in the same enclosure another hens chicks just hatched. Can they all be together? Or will hens hurt the other hens new chicks? They do have their own nestsin the same enclosure.

I just ordered my chicks from MyPetChicken today. They are supposed to be mailed out on June 10th. I am getting 2 EEs and 6 Barred Plymouth Rocks. I am so excited and it's going to seem like forever before I get them. This will be my first time with baby chicks. I already have 2 RIRs and 4 BAs, they are 20 weeks old.

does anyone know if you can mix hens and their chicks? I have hens co raising a clutch of 8 chicks. Now in the same enclosure another hens chicks just hatched. Can they all be together? Or will hens hurt the other hens new chicks? They do have their own nestsin the same enclosure.

I'm able to mix the flock. I think it depends on your flock though. Just keep an eye on them for the first few days. I know that my hens will go after each other when one comes too close to the brood, but they settle that within the first day or two. They don't attack the chicks though. I've also heard that sometimes a hen will try to steal another hen's chicks which can cause a fight, but I haven't had that experience yet. I'd suggest just watching them carefully.

Back
Top Bottom