The First Egg! YIPPEE!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maurerwerks, Dec 8, 2010.

1. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    FINALLY!! The First Egg! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Laid on Sunday, December 5th. (a second egg was laid, presumably by the same lady 2 days later)

[​IMG]

Not sure who laid it, but the two main suspects (at 25 weeks of age) are Desdemona, the BA in the middle of this photo...
    [​IMG]

...or it's this one, Matilda, the single-combed SLW standing next to the BO in this photo...
    [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] Hooray for you!!! Your hens are GORGEOUS!!

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Congrats! That is always so eggciting!!

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    The 2 golden one's, I'm pretty sure they lay light brown eggs. It could be the other 2. I also have golden chicken and it's light brown. Doesn't it feel good when you get your first egg ? I still feel excited and happy when I find eggs everyday :)) The hard work for them finally pays off with bonuses :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

What LOVELY chickens you have!

I literally jumped up and down when Miss Moody laid her first egg, lol. I don't know if my DH was smiling b/c it was our first egg or he thought it was funny to see me jump up and down about an egg, LOL.

Congrats!!! [​IMG]

6. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

YAY for 1st eggs, my BLUE Ameraucana hens started laying and wow what pretty BLUE eggs...ITs always esciting no matter what when they first lay....

[​IMG]

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    [​IMG] congrats

8. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    congrats! whee! i got my first egg too last thursday!

[​IMG]
    then saturday there was another egg and monday there were 2!!!!! i dont know who laid the other one but it was slightly smaller and lighter pink. carmen my buff cochin is due to lay again today i believe! [​IMG] yay! I wonder who the small pinkie layer is though!

i know carmen laid that egg though because it was before i had completely integrated 4 birds into my flock of 5 birds i checked their vents and carmens was like 3x bigger than the other ones' vents. also she's been hanging out in the nest box a lot and her comb grew 3x bigger in the past 1 month....

9. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Congratulations! [​IMG] The first egg is always exciting. Plus, they get bigger and tastier over time, too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    Quote:It's so exciting - it seems like magic when you open the nest box door and... Voila!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by