The First Eggs?

HomesteaderWife

Free Ranging
9 Years
Apr 24, 2015
Alabama
Hello there BYC- we have a young Khaki Campbell that just started to lay finally. We found her first egg in the nest box yesterday, and one again this morning. As we have never raised ducks before, I am curious to know if the first few eggs are able to be consumed. I have heard mixed information on this, so I just want a bit of extra opinions!

Thank you!

We have always eaten the first eggs from our birds, and there was nothing wrong with them other than that they were slightly undersized. I've never heard that you can't eat the first eggs. But if you're worried about it, you don't have to eat them.

Thank you for the advice. I trust opinions here, and we have the eggs saved. :) I'll probably be using them to bake with here soon

We have eaten all of our ducks first eggs. I have 18 females so that is a whole lot of first eggs and we are all still here. :)

I've never heard of not eating their first eggs. I've heard of Not incubating the first few weeks but that is because they tend to be a little off, meaning double yokers, extra small, extra large and such. But for eating they are just fine!

My family ate all of my ducks' first eggs. Some of the eggs looked strange. For example, some had soft, rubbery shells, and others were pointy at the tip. When those eggs were cracked, they looked strange on the inside, so nobody at them. The ducks' systems were still trying to figure out how to lay eggs. I'd say that an easy rule is that if the egg looks good, it will taste good. You should be able to eat any of your ducks' first eggs that look proper.

Back
Top Bottom