The first GRIP RITE D-i-v-o-r-c-e

yuckyuck.gif
smack.gif
gig.gif

The Spook is a quick learner....just finished having a new metal roof
put on my parents home. Roof and all gutters.

Had it done completely, quickly and professionally. Way to go...I never touched
a thing.

An amazing thread.

I do know about keeping the hammer aligned with the head and switching around as the angle changes. I know about keeping nails perpendicular, and I watched the Amish team toenail some areas and am amazed at how strong that is.

But I also know that fitness is a huge part of carpentry. I watched those Amish guys do things I couldn't do in a dream. They just do the work every day and they are able to hold tools steadier and more accurately, make more accurate cuts, and for hours and hours. It's really amazing.

They also have a crystal ball, and can visualize how something would look and why it would or wouldn't work.

The traveling coop carpenter would be a great idea.

Of course I would want to learn to do it and why it's done a certain way. Too curious.

The first question I ever asked a carpenter was NOT about carpentry. He was working on our den and I asked, 'Why do you smoke a pipe?'

The answer was, 'to keep my chin warm'.

Fortunately after many years my questions are now a little bit better.

Here's one for Royd: As badly as the rafters are cut, how long will it stay standing?

We have very heavy snow here but the 12:12 roof slope, I am not so sure any snow will stay on it.

Last edited:
I learned something else too. Tools, good quality tools, are everything.

I bought a nailer, it was the cheapest one. It did not work in most of the situations where I needed it. I went to look at tools at the store and several guys came over and just started explaining to me, WHY I did not want a cheap table saw, for example.

I think I'll nose around for someone selling a good one to drum up some cash. I'd like to make some kitchen cabinets (Frameless front).

Quote:
So then.... I guess you didn't like them?
gig.gif
hugs.gif
Sometimes they just get a thought in their head and it sticks there.... so did it occur to you that your just as stubborn for falling for it all?..

Once agan,
hugs.gif
don't kill him.... he has other redeeming qualities!

Well actually Royd said the Grip Tites are good. I just had a heck of a time getting them in. Probably mostly because I just quit after 30 years in corporate America that did not involve a lot of exercise. Too I have a neuro problem with my arm that will be getting operated on in a couple months, that should help a lot. But for now, it is not very strong.

Quote:
As long as there is a ridge board, you could get some 3 1/2" or 4" deck screws, and run one through the top of the rafter, down into the ridge board, and if you are good, you can run one from the opposite side of the ridge board, at an angle, into the end of the rafter.. With the sheathing properly nailed, it should be there forever, if it stays dry.

Back
Top Bottom