The fish tank thread.

We did pebble mosaics around the outside of the pond and it took a long time to build. I just had to post a couple of pics just to compete with some of the fine tanks I have seen here. The pictures were taken before the pond was finished. These ended up with a yellow background and my wife outlined the pebbles with a dark stain.
Awesome designs. I have goldfish in my pond, which also contains assorted sunfish and 2-3 bass. I have a juvenile koi inside until it gets warm enough to put him in the pond.

I love my goldfish and some are pretty big.

They are really nice as a pond fish. They keep very well all year long. I have also learned the a deeper pond helps develop the muscles they use to swim up and down and it gives a better looking fish.

Awesome designs. I have goldfish in my pond, which also contains assorted sunfish and 2-3 bass. I have a juvenile koi inside until it gets warm enough to put him in the pond.

I have 5 baby koi in my shed with heat at 60 degrees f. and I too am waiting for warmer weather.

I have one small butterfly (white and red) that shows some promise. I have two bigger koi in another pond near the house that are about 16 inches long but I can't catch them. This time of year they just bury themselves in the mud and hide! I may have to drain the pond to get them out.

I avoid koi(and goldfish)with long fins, simply because my pond is just a normal fishing pond with normal predators such as bass, herons, mink, and coons. The koi/goldfish with shorter fins can swim faster, and thus get away from predators easier, than koi/goldfish with longer fins. Last year I had a mink visiting my pond. For a few days I would find dead bluegill, some with heads, some without heads, and I sometimes would find just the heads. I didn't notice any dead goldfish.

if anyone wants to keep a planted tank, i can help you with it. look up the growth rates of ludwigia glandulosa. its the plant in the front left of the experimental tank i was showing.

i was getting three to five inches of stem growth per week. normally, it grows about an inch per week in really good conditions. pretty much all of the plants in that tank were like that. i used the crushed coral to raise the PH so that the plants could actually absorb the excess CO2. the cow manure provided the fertilizer.

i added two UV bulbs to reduce algae(uv is harmful to algae) while still being able to keep the lights on 24/7(to fuel photosynthesis and put the plants into vegetative growth).

im also pretty good with live foods. i have kept a lot of live foods that aret on the market. i collect and culture them myself.

like these. these came out of a pond in north carolina.

they look just like california blackworms. different species.

We get some ice now and then during the winter but it is always gone by the afternoon. All my ponds are just outside fish tanks really.

I just started a small worm farm for a little dietary variety but I soon discovered I am gonna need a lot more worms.

I can get bags of pond food (32% protein) for about $16.00.

Ice on the pond you say? No, just another reason cats rule -they can walk on water!

I think every cat we have had in the years we have been on this property has done this at least once - our little tortie, Jackie, sunbathes in middle of the pond every chance she gets. I can't get over how green it looks in the background given how cold it was.

Last edited:
I think this fish tank thread has turned into a pond thread.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom