The fish tank thread.

Depends on how into one wants to go - you can do a low light/low maintenance planted tank easily with no extra work or trouble at all - it's only when you start delving into the higher light/nutrient needy plants that it becomes a hassle with having to add light, add CO2, etc.  Our two planted tanks require no different care than the two non-planted because I have low light plants that don't require CO2 injection and all that jazz. 

That was just the issue. The plants were an impulse buy from a fish store, and they were high light co2 requiring plants. I can't remember names, but they were very fine leafed plants. They all died of within 2 weeks. Now, if I want plants I just have Anubis.

I'll be using silk plants :)

Oh, thats a great idea. I used to have these fake plants that looked great about 3 years ago, they looked very realistic. Wonder where they are now. I was gonna say if you have a puffer don't they eat plants or at least dig them up?

Thanks! Not lucky but VERY thankful ;) (Hard work, dedication and being faithful pays kid!)

I had a single Oscar in a 55 gallon in my first house that was 9 years old when he died. After seeing the pair we had in the 300 I would never have just one and I would also never have a pair in less than a 6 to 8 foot long tank, it's just so awesome when they have room to actually swim and explore together.

We still have "Gary" our Dragon Puffer Fish (a.k.a. King Kong Puffer Fish) who is this big tub of goo fish who just hangs out in his cave and eats frozen fish, frozen raw in shell shrimp, crawdads and other edible items that I push with a stick into his cave. He is the only fish we kept from our 300 when we moved and he has been living in the 45 since. We love the big slug. While in the 45 we have occasionally (usually spur of the moment) bought fish to hopefully grow out in preparation for the return on the 300. Each time I say to myself, "Gary won't eat these." So far in the 45 (since it small in relative terms) "Gary" has eaten: 2 Pictus Catfish, 2 Dwarf Groumis, 6 Tiger Barbs, 3 Bumble Bee Catfish, 6 Platys and a Swordfish who hitched a ride home in one our bags (sucks to be him).

Our latest purchase (12 Tiger Barbs) has proven most successful as 6 have survived for over a month without becoming a Gary snacks. I love those quick little buggers.

So for the 300 I plan on Gary and the remaining Tiger Barbs. Besides Gary I'm done with fish like Oscars that you get emotionally attached to. I have 300 gallons in the tank and 200 gallons in the sump in the filter room so I can handle a lot of bio-load with 500 total gallons and a nice wet/dry filter tower. I will slowly build fish stock while cycling. I want a school of about 20-30 Tiger Barbs, dozens of Live-bearers (Mollys, Plays, Swordfish & etc.), half dozen or so Dwarf Guarmis, half dozen or so Angel Fish, half dozen or so Silver Dollar Fish, 3 Pictus Cats, small school of Bumble Bee cats (12+). Also want to plan a trip to some specialty fish stores (meaning not Petsmart or Petco) and see what floats my boat. There will plenty of different areas for them to stay away from Gary although you never know when somebody may get lost.)

I feel like a kid getting this thing going again, lol
lol...yeah, it sure does :D

Yeah, i have seen oscars in the 55 gallons and they seen a bit cramped too me...way prettier when they have room to move!

Lol, Gary sounds like my turtle. Love him, but he sure is annoying! I always go to the pet store and find a fish i just have to get (telling myself that rocky won't eat it) and the next day, my beautiful (and sometimes expensive) fish are gone. Yeah, not too smart. *sigh* guess that tank won't have any fish but the pleco, goldfish, minnows, and danios in it until i finish the turtle pond.

I've always admired tiger barbs...so pretty! That tank sounds so cool!! Post pictures as it gets the fish added!!
specialty fish stores are the best...for the most part fish i've gotten from them are more healthier and die less than petsmart or petco fish. :)

lol, sounds so fun! I'm in the works to get my other 20 gallon up and running again after our move...so excited! Also planning an outdoor turtle (and koi) pond for the current red eared slider and more rescue turtles...can't wait to start digging in the spring!!

Quote:
Someday I'd love to get a pond going also. Are you digging by hand or know somebody with equipment? I'd probably have to dig by hand although renting one of those mini excavators would be awful tempting, lol. Looking forward to your pictures.

Quote: i'm digging by hand, so it will take a bit :p lol, those do look tempting. My dad wanted to actually buy one for various projects around here (like a dug-in greenhouse). Doubt we will though...one of those probably not gonna happen dreams :)

I'll totally post pictures when i start!

i'm digging by hand, so it will take a bit :p lol, those do look tempting. My dad wanted to actually buy one for various projects around here (like a dug-in greenhouse). Doubt we will though...one of those probably not gonna happen dreams :)

I'll totally post pictures when i start!

If you get one I'll know who to call.
big_smile.png

Taking a break from putting some finishing touches on the tank. I'll take some pics tonight.

Back
Top Bottom