The fortresses is finally complete!

Oh I did just notice that is plastic netting on the front of the door. I thought it was coded welded wire fabric. You definitely should switch it to welded wire. And if you don’t have shade you could always add plywood or some kind of roof and part of the run. Just something to provide them some shade

Another agreement for hardware cloth IMG_20180522_112357295.jpg . Its worth the invesment. In addition, I would recommend securing it with screws and washers at least on the corners

A moat to keep the black knight at bay:lau. In all seriousness I'd hate to be the predator that tries to attack. But it looks like you might want to put some more hardware cloth on those black metal pieces

I like the moat idea!

But there are salvaged window screens behind the black metal bed frame in the photo; they are fasten together with heavy duty zip-ties. But I might want to do the hardware cloth in addition. Where does one buy the cloth at?

Amazon is probably the most popular source for hardware cloth for most people as the prices are about 50% less than big home improvement stores. For chicken coops 1/2" is standard. And you'll want to secure it with screws and washers as shown by Justso's post above, or sandwich it between pieces of wood and screwed in, or if attaching mesh to mesh, secured with hog rings.

Amazon is probably the most popular source for hardware cloth for most people as the prices are about 50% less than big home improvement stores. For chicken coops 1/2" is standard. And you'll want to secure it with screws and washers as shown by Justso's post above, or sandwich it between pieces of wood and screwed in, or if attaching mesh to mesh, secured with hog rings.
Ditto Dat^^^

You can find it near the chicken wire at most stores. Kind of funny it's called"cloth", it's really wire fencing
Well, it about sizes...like when 'tubing' becomes 'pipe'

Even a determined neighborhood dog will go through that plastic like it’s not even there. Hardware cloth is far superior to chicken wire. Basically, chicken wire is sturdy enough to keep chickens in. It is useless in keeping most predators out. If you haven’t seen coyotes, it because you don’t have chickens. But even a fox can get through chicken wire. And as for fasteners and gates- if a 3-year old can open it, so can a raccoon.

Following the repurposed idea.. it looks like a section of wire closet shelf would be about the right size for that front door. A couple of screws and washers to hold it in place. I repaired a rabbit hutch for a friend like that.

Back
Top Bottom