The Fricken Chicken story!

Pics
We have been actively hunting coyote here all weekend. We have 3 cats and countless chickens gone from them.... While out hunting, we practice gun safety. We will NOT shoot, unless we have a clear shot and know what it is. In the process of all of this commotion. We found this little bugger in the brush! This little guy is lucky to not be a coyote snack. He is safe now, and has a full belly. I'm over these coyote......View attachment 2253827

I'm glad you found that cat! Who knows what would have happened to him out there. Are you going to keep him? What's his name?

I posted pictures of my previous eggs^^^. I've only been getting a few eggs a day. We been eating them as fast as they come out 😆 I haven't got an egg from Woman in weeks. Which isn't uncommon for her. Sometimes she will lay them while on the roost, and they break on the floor. No idea why she does that. She is my most flighty chicken of my flock, so maybe that has something to do with it?
I had a friend that was having hens laying on the roost issues as well. I think it can be them misjudging the time they have left to lay them during the day and trying to hold off until the next day. So i think they essentially should try and lay it before dark but misjudge the amount of daylight left or just don't want to because they are doing something they enjoy more, thinking they can hold it. Then they can't make it. Once the laying cycle moves far enough into the night it's no problem. So you wind up with what seem to be random drops of the roost.

When hens are regular layers you can monitor what time they lay each day. And see how many hours their cycles are. That can help you to know what days they are going to skip. For example my Phyllis, a Polish hen, is on something like a 28 hour cycle. So she will lay 3 days in a row and then skip one or two days.

These are pictures from a while back. I thought you guys would enjoy them!
20200203_145818.jpg
20200227_133032.jpg

My beautiful Blue. I sure do miss her and her sisters!
20200223_165945.jpg
20200220_170734.jpg
20200220_170740.jpg

I still giggle over this picture. Rico Sauve, my little seabright rooster tried to do what roosters do with Woman. Well women, did not tolerate it. She grabbed him and I thought she was going to kill him. (I was secretly hoping she would, mean little rooster)
20200202_150726.jpg

Little Prick @$$ Rico Sauve.. I am pretty sure he had "little man syndrome". I got rid of him after he attacked my kid...
20200202_150708.jpg
20200202_150705.jpg

Another Blue picture. She was such a love bug!
20200108_152612.jpg

At least all of Falkors offspring are good looking!

20200108_152626.jpg
20200108_152623.jpg
20200108_152635.jpg

I sure miss this pretty girl too.
20200111_160408.jpg
20200111_160500.jpg
20200111_160827.jpg
20200111_162849.jpg

This is Brazzy. My friend took her to her flock a few months ago. She is such a pretty girl.
20200111_162817.jpg
20200113_140256.jpg

I had a friend that was having hens laying on the roost issues as well. I think it can be them misjudging the time they have left to lay them during the day and trying to hold off until the next day. So i think they essentially should try and lay it before dark but misjudge the amount of daylight left or just don't want to because they are doing something they enjoy more, thinking they can hold it. Then they can't make it. Once the laying cycle moves far enough into the night it's no problem. So you wind up with what seem to be random drops of the roost.

When hens are regular layers you can monitor what time they lay each day. And see how many hours their cycles are. That can help you to know what days they are going to skip. For example my Phyllis, a Polish hen, is on something like a 28 hour cycle. So she will lay 3 days in a row and then skip one or two days.
Yes I have a couple hens like that. Woman, is super skittish. If i was to guess something spokes her during lay so she holds it. And doesn't bother to go back to the nest.

This is for sure a strange question BUT is there some place I can find ALL the chicken breed acronyms...I'm a newbie to them and figured out the fairly easy ones but struggle with the more complicated ones...I REALLY like reading all the great chicken raising stories just wish I knew what birds are being discussed lol
I'm not sure, but if there is one, I bet its one this forum somewhere!

I'm glad you found that cat! Who knows what would have happened to him out there. Are you going to keep him? What's his name?
I think my parents are going to keep him. :weeNo name yet! They just found him last night! They want me to take the long hair male, that I found a few weeks back. I already have 4 cats now Nelly, Yoshi, Wii, and Nomi. My husband would probably leave me if I bring another kitty home! Lol 😆

Back
Top Bottom