The Fricken Chicken story!

Pics
As you look at this undiagnosed resipratory infection, there are really 4 poential bacteria which could be the causative agent:
  • Mycoplasma gallisepticum
  • Chlamydophila psittaci
  • Ornithobecterium rhinotracheale
  • Avibacterium paragallinarum
Of those 4, Mycoplsma is the hardest to deal with. Because of way in which the bacteria is constructed, many antibiotics will not work against it. Additionally, even those antimicrobials which do work, do not eliminate the bacteria, they simply eliminate the symptoms. If they have Mycoplasma, they will always be carriers.

This means they will be able to share it within your flock if you mix them in with the others. Mycoplasma is not fatal when teated but it can lead to blindness if treated in a timely manner. My brtoher had a hen in his flock get Mycoplasma and until he figured out something was wrong she was blind in one eye. The infection returns about once a year right now but he knows how to treat and quickly isolates her. None of his other hens have ever exhibited symptoms but he has to assume that it isnow endemic in his flock and keep an eye one them all.

So how can you tell if this is Mycoplasma and not one of the other 3 bacteria? Typically you can tell by bubbling fluid in the eye.

I am stealing a photo from someone else on BYC. This was not Mycoplasma, it was simply something in the eye. But the bubbles will look like this. (thanks @Ribh ) This is why it is really important to note BOTH symptoms. You need both respiratory symptoms and bubbling.

View attachment 2343960

Since you have quarantined them successfully to this point, if it looks to be Mycoplasma, you still have the option to decide whether to mix them with your flock or not. If it does not look to be Mycoplasma you will likely wipe out the issue with treatment and will not have much to worry about should you decide to mix them.

I just wanted to make you aware of what you may be dealing with so you can start thinking about this and watch their eyes for symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any questions. This was a lot.
That is a very good informative post! I'm keeping a close eye on them. I haven't seen the eye bubbles, so far. I'll check again in a few, when I go to give their eyes a trim, so they can see lol I appreciate the help, and the extra information. I've seen bubbles in one of my hens eyes, a year or so ago, something was in it too. I assume dirt from a hefty dust bath lol

In the meantime. I'll keep watch on them for other symptoms, and try to keep their nostrils clean of discharge till the enrotex gets here.

That is a very good informative post! I'm keeping a close eye on them. I haven't seen the eye bubbles, so far. I'll check again in a few, when I go to give their eyes a trim, so they can see lol I appreciate the help, and the extra information. I've seen bubbles in one of my hens eyes, a year or so ago, something was in it too. I assume dirt from a hefty dust bath lol

In the meantime. I'll keep watch on them for other symptoms, and try to keep their nostrils clean of discharge till the enrotex gets here.
This seems like the best course of action for now.

Such beautiful birds! 😍😍😍

Sebright hens can crow too. I am Not certain why they do for a purpose. I had kept pair of Silver Sebright in the past.
My seabright hen crows all the time. Specially since I pulled my roosters! Now she even tidbits for her bantam girlfriends 🙄 she clearly lays me egg, she just my masculine sebright, Trouble. Lol 😆

Fun morning...

So this morning. Soon as I opened my eyes.... I seen something out back. I'm trying to get up and awaken my eyeballs to focus on the distraction in the yard.. then I realized it was a COYOTE. So I sprang up out of bed like a jack rabbit, tripping over 75 children toys, that was not on my bedroom floor last night... made my way to the 22. Only for the darn thing to jam up while I was trying to load it. So they coyote got to pass "go" today. Tomorrow if it comes through I'll be waiting on it...

Anyways I felt bad for the 3 sickly amigos this morning. So I opened their cage to give them some space to roam in the sun porch. Figure they can poop on the floor. The linoleum will be easy to mop up. Oddly enough, the rooster is the only one who has no signs of being sick. He seems to be pretty healthy. Go figure, darn roosters lol at least they was happy to come out. I'll prob get them a pile of grass and dirt to sift through today. I think they will enjoy it. To be honest, I'm not sure if this bunch has ever stepped foot outside, or got to eat grass in their life.
20200923_075942.jpg
20200923_080000.jpg

Fun morning...

So this morning. Soon as I opened my eyes.... I seen something out back. I'm trying to get up and awaken my eyeballs to focus on the distraction in the yard.. then I realized it was a COYOTE. So I sprang up out of bed like a jack rabbit, tripping over 75 children toys, that was not on my bedroom floor last night... made my way to the 22. Only for the darn thing to jam up while I was trying to load it. So they coyote got to pass "go" today. Tomorrow if it comes through I'll be waiting on it...

Anyways I felt bad for the 3 sickly amigos this morning. So I opened their cage to give them some space to roam in the sun porch. Figure they can poop on the floor. The linoleum will be easy to mop up. Oddly enough, the rooster is the only one who has no signs of being sick. He seems to be pretty healthy. Go figure, darn roosters lol at least they was happy to come out. I'll prob get them a pile of grass and dirt to sift through today. I think they will enjoy it. To be honest, I'm not sure if this bunch has ever stepped foot outside, or got to eat grass in their life. View attachment 2344859View attachment 2344860
They are adorable. I dread the thought that they never have been able to play on grass. that makes me sad. :(

obviously you will the 22 better prepared for next time. Good luck.

They are adorable. I dread the thought that they never have been able to play on grass. that makes me sad. :(

obviously you will the 22 better prepared for next time. Good luck.
It has been catching, when you load a round in. Just a bolt action, 22 with a scope. Ill be waiting on the deck tomorrow between 4am and daylight, with a AR, and a dozen eggs placed in the yard! I'm over these stupid things.

I honestly can't wait to allow them freedom. That day can't come soon enough. I just got to get them healthy first! Their health is my main priority! I should have the Enrotex today sometime! So I'm patiently waiting for the FedEx truck! Then let's hope it helps them!!

It has been catching, when you load a round in. Just a bolt action, 22 with a scope. Ill be waiting on the deck tomorrow between 4am and daylight, with a AR, and a dozen eggs placed in the yard! I'm over these stupid things.
I like your strategy. Happy hunting.

I honestly can't wait to allow them freedom. That day can't come soon enough. I just got to get them healthy first! Their health is my main priority! I should have the Enrotex today sometime! So I'm patiently waiting for the FedEx truck! Then let's hope it helps them!!
I'm confident that will do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom