The Front Porch Swing

Well, I don't hate them, so I guess we'll just have to see how it all shakes out in the Spring. I can't imagine not having chickens, I just never thought I'd have a group this standoffish. Kinda sucking the wind outta my sails a bit. Fortunately, the oldest is and always was a lap chicken or they'd be hearing the tick tock of the "new flock countdown" clock.

Hello everyone. It has been interesting around here.
Breeds that have started laying.
Red Orps
Red Cuckoo Orps
Coronations
Olive Eggers
Spitzhaubens
Lavender Orps
Partridge Barthuners
Blue Wheaton Ams
Seramas
Augsburgers
White Bresse
Mottled Orps
Pavlovskayas
Swedish Flower Hens
And actually a few of these never quit

I can't imagine life without chickens.

Looks like people are posting from time to time, so my turn!!

Been pretty busy around here as well... The past year and half has been nuts as DH is working out of state (North Dakota, ugh), so I am playing single mom most of the time.

Have legbars again and working on my Wheaten Marans still, neverending project, lol.

TNB, wow, look at all those cool birds you have!! Are you shipping chicks?

How is everyone else? Still lurking, haha

And again TNB... can't imagine life without chickens... it would be a sad one, for sure!

@Daloorashens
frow.gif
The comfrey I got from you a few years ago made it through two tough winters and is looking good! Thanks for checking in! It is good to hear you aren't around much because you are busy and not some other reason.

Well, I don't hate them, so I guess we'll just have to see how it all shakes out in the Spring. I can't imagine not having chickens, I just never thought I'd have a group this standoffish. Kinda sucking the wind outta my sails a bit. Fortunately, the oldest is and always was a lap chicken or they'd be hearing the tick tock of the "new flock countdown" clock.

Sounds kinda silly...have you tried cabbage? Cut it into strips and dangle it for them and make them jump up to you to get it......then dangle it over your lap and then once they are on your lap have a piece or two already on your leg....a few days of cabbage therapy they catch on and you have " pets" again....

Looks like people are posting from time to time, so my turn!!

Been pretty busy around here as well... The past year and half has been nuts as DH is working out of state (North Dakota, ugh), so I am playing single mom most of the time.

Have legbars again and working on my Wheaten Marans still, neverending project, lol.

TNB, wow, look at all those cool birds you have!! Are you shipping chicks?

How is everyone else? Still lurking, haha

And again TNB... can't imagine life without chickens... it would be a sad one, for sure!
Yes, we are shipping chicks.

Hope everyone is doing well. I have a flock update. My oldest, Lucy the lap chicken, came down with a condition & ultimately died from it. When the eggs don't move thru their system fast enough and it ends up cooking inside of them. I knew she was feeling 'off', so she got some spa time alone. She seemed to perk up a bit, then backslide. Perk up, then backslide. We did all we could, but after a month, she just couldn't stay on the upswing long enough to pass the blockage. Lovely Lucy Goose my lap chicken lies out back with her sisters. About a month later, my new #1 in the pecking order somehow managed to break her neck between my tucking them in and getting breakfast before I left for work. She was just starting to be docile enough that I could hold her without her heart racing in panic, too!

The 3 remaining girls are vocal & interested in what I'm doing, especially if it involves treats, but are not wanting to be lap chickens... so far. #2 (Pistol Annie) will let me pet her chest while she stands on the rail, IF I use one knuckle & a closed hand and IF there are treats in it for her. She's allowing me to feed her mealworms in the palm of my hand before the others get any, but just for a couple of minutes. #1 (Pistachio) & #3 (Lambchop) will talk to me & follow me around, but there's no petting them. But they know their names & generally
acknowledge if I'm talking to them (with a look, a vocalization, by stopping what they ought not to be doing or coming to get a treat.)

The only nice thing was that before Lucy & Toffee Birds' issues, Pistachio was not feeling well. I noticed and took her inside for a once over. She seemed to know that I was trying to help her, so she let me examine & comfort her. After an hour of quiet time together I took her back outside & once there, she passed an undeveloped, no shell egg while I stook guard. I helped her pass the membrane out and she's been right as rain ever since.

So no cuddles from these girls, but we have an understanding. I bring treats & will do my best to protect & help them if they are sick. They give me eggs & entertainment...from a distance. They listen when we're free ranging so if that's the best I get, well, it's still better than not having chickens at all.

And the cabbage trick? Great suggestion, but imagine chickens plotting to outlast you...from across the country, and you'll have some idea of how that worked for me, lol. Everyone is different and they're just going to be whoever they are until and unless they want to adjust & be cuddle bugs. I still run an old age home for chickens, just no cuddly ones.

Back
Top Bottom