The Front Porch Swing

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Beekissed, Jan 23, 2014.

1. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Forgive the repetition here ... but this topic came up again pretty recently ... The PVC pipe feeders like the ones I recently posted photos of here as I'd just set out a few to use as FF feeders ...

[​IMG]

Our first experiment with PVC trough feeders was for the ducks ... the ducks need a way to "scoop" up their feed, so the chicken feeders don't work well for them. And I like the idea of a trough for ducks because I think it helps keep the food & the feeder from getting as gross as pan feeders get from ducks.

Because I had a power-tool obsessed "partner" at that time, I suggested he cut a trough opening "above the curve" so the trough had a "cup" shape as I theorized that would help lessen the beaking/billing out of the food -- about a 2/3 pipe trough. Instead, he insisted on doing the cutting where I couldn't supervise <delete rant> and cut one pipe in half instead of using the two pipes I'd supplied ...

The ducks bill the food out of that feeder.

So I did my own cutting this time. It does use more materials, but it allowed me to cut on the top side of the radius so the troughs have a "cup" shape, and I was able to leave a "handle" which makes things easier for me ... for those times when we want to move the feeders, etc.

I suppose that with the FF or moist feed it is much more difficult to beak/bill the food out of the 1/2 pipe trough feeders, though I do think the 2/3 pipe shape discourages roosting in/on the troughs. And I love the handle. You can carry two of these troughs in one hand ...

I got the idea for the cinder blocks over on the DIY thread where someone had made a PVC trough waterer ...

1 person likes this.
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You rose to the challenge!! Praise the Lord! I just got off the phone with my son and was instructing him on this also....the Lord is blessing him in spades right now and I wanted him to be sure and thank the Lord as he goes about his day and to make a habit of doing it every day, because the Lord wants us to do this and it forms a good relationship with the Father. Even for the little things~like clean underwear~ because I've found that the Lord pays great attention to the little things in life and it's there where I see His handiwork the most frequent.

After living off grid while growing up I now really, really appreciate a hot shower and so now, each time I get under that soothing, warm spray of water, I remember to thank God for it...such a simple thing but when it's gone, you really miss it. And a washing machine, a commode, a room of my own and a comfortable bed...and the list goes on and on. There are so many things for which to be thankful that one could spend a lifetime and never cover them all, so I just thank Him as I chore around the house, as I drive, as I walk to the coop and back, etc.

Amen and amen! Part of a piece of scripture that I have taped to my hard drive so I can see it at all times while at my PC. When I read the news and start to get bogged down by the evil in this world, I just read Philippians 4: 4-9 and I am reminded that I do not have to dwell on these things I am seeing or reading about and am specifically instructed by God to not do so, so I am better able to turn off the tragedy and focus on the Lord and what He is doing in the world instead.

1 person likes this.
  3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

4. perchie.girl

You know for the ducks you might just top the feed off with water.... That might keep them from billing it out.

deb

5. sarahsunshine

sarahsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Isn't that just the way it works!!!

We pt our house on the market and... suddenly the gas fireplace stopped working, the hot tub died, the stove started beeping that there was some sort of electric error (huh? a stove?), the freezer started dripping water, and 2 taps started leaking! $%^*!!!! Oh, and I forgot about the toilet leaking too! needed a new seal.

Why all at once? LOL! But now it's all fixed (lots by us, some by others - hot tub and gas fireplace) for the new people and the house is sold! Phew!

Best of luck on the Open House!

6. perchie.girl

Hey I have been contributing alot on the DIY thread - Let's see your "inventions" for quite some time now. As well as the "Getting the flock out of here-a diary of a crazy chicken man" Thread.... we got on the topic of water conservation.... So rather than hijacking both threads with the topic I started my own.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/869559/water-management-and-strategies-for-water-conservation

Just started it but Water has been a major issue here in California and I wanted to discuss ways to conserve, create, and innnovate in areas where water just doesnt come from the sky.

deb

7. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    I agree. I've read how ducks like their feed somewhat drier than the chickens do, but are sensitive to the mildews that might grow on the "moist" feed, so it's best to "daily dose" them. They are, therefore, prime candidates for joining in on the FF project.

We haven't started offering the ducks the FF yet, but we are working up to it. I need to figure out about how much they're eating per day ... they get a different "recipe" than the chickens as they shouldn't have as much protein, so we're more careful to cut their All Purpose Pellets (19% protein) with the right amount of scratch. And we've been trying to figure out if they will need extra niacin after the food is fermented ...

Getting the duck food up to speed is the next "tweak".

8. sarahsunshine

Jul 10, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Everything is so busy here that I just realized I hadn't popped by in a few days, and then there were 50 PAGES to catch up on! IT takes so long to catch up I can hardly catch up before I need to get back to work! It' taken 2 days just to feel I can post a few things that may be relevant!

Blooie - congrats on the coop - it's looking great! I'm sure there sill be many tweaks until you decide it's finished... but working coops (or anything), are rarely ever "finished"... they are constantly being tweaked to greater perfection!

Bee- yo started another clutch? YAY!!! When is hatch date? And your grandbaby is such a cutie!

Leslie - tell me if the "just add water" works in terms of food waste. I am contemplating adding ducks to our mix.. well, when we get the chickens and garden established, then ducks would probably be next!

As for updates here, Sale of house complete - signed off with lawyers and bamk!

Purchase of new house is getting there. Conditions have been waived, and date of possession has been moved up from May 15 to May 2! YIPPEE!!!!! Though, now, we take possession while hubby is away for work for 2 weeks, and I get to tell the movers where to put everything while keeping track of 2 dogs, and 3 children aged 1, 3, and 5 in a location that I know no-one to ask for help in babysitting for the day! This will be interesting!

BUT, (and here is the exciting part), I ordered my first chicks from a local hatchery, and some more from a more commercial, home hatchery!!!! I have them organized for the end of June (we will be gone for 2 weeks mid-jJne and I daren't get them before that). So I am getting 6 marans, and hope to get some nice dark, dark eggs!!! Then I also hope to get a bunch of Ameraucanas, barred rocks and light sussex... Maybe we'll have about 30-40 chicks total come the end of June. Then we can cull the nasty roosters, keep some, and do some of our own breeding starting with about 20 chickens? So exciting!

We have an old coop on the place we are buying to start out with, but I see some serious coop building in our future! First, though, I need to spend a few months scouting out where to find materials. Last year we build a bunch of stuff mostly from free recycled materials. Since we are moving to a completely new location, I will need to suss out where to acquire materials first before we get building too seriously. It's so easy to get sucked into the convenience of Home Depot, but really, it's so much more satisfying to not pay anything, and reuse someone else's "garbage".

I'm dreaming of Quadra Island, our new home... and SPRING!!!!

This morning was beautiful! Merely 20f and sunny. Just needed shoes, a light button down shirt, and my fleece jacket while I scraped the frost off the car. :) I'm used to having my sheepskin 3/4 length jacket and upper calf hunting boots on before I go out the front door! Next week it's supposed to be 50f! At that rate Ill have to unpack my shorts before they take all our stuff away in the moving truck!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'm so excited for you and your new home!!! Now, this is the one on the lake shore/sea shore, right? Or am I confusing you with another here doing a home purchase? I am so pleased when I hear of folks searching for cheap or free materials for building coops and such....it's so refreshing in this consumer driven world to hear of folks who still try to recycle things that would otherwise go to waste. Congratulations on your new home and the chicks....and, of course, we will be wanting detailed pics of your home and how you are doing your new coops. [​IMG]

I've started Nest #4 and this is the winner! I have 27 in the clutch and from just a few cursory candlings I have identified 3-4 that may not be fertile and the rest are developing right on track! Which means this method really works and I just didn't have viable eggs in the previous clutches...and this could turn into being the most simple method of incubation outside of a broody hen's nest! [​IMG]

10. sarahsunshine

Jul 10, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, it's not 'right on the seashore', but it's not far from the ocean on the west coast. I think I would constantly live in paranoia if we were on the sea shore. We lost our first son in an accidental pond drowning in a tiny pond that had been emptied of water for the winter but some snow had melted in the bottom making a few inches. I think I'd be eternally paranoid with small children with a pond or ocean so close!

The new house is, however, a 2-3km (1-2mile) walk to the ferry/ocean, and a 5-6km trip to a beautiful ocean park with pebbly and sandy beaches! I am sure we will spend lots of time there!

I am so excited about your new clutch. Do you have an approximate hatching date (I want to put i on my calendar). I am going to be out of internet range except for my cell phone starting next week and I will want to check out progress periodically!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by