The Front Porch Swing

I've been wondering if we would ever get full dozens of the three "special" color eggs ( Green/Blue; White; Dark Brown) and today we got exactly 12 of each.

I am just starting my chicken adventure and went with the safety and egg production of Barred Rocks and RIRs. Loving my "chickie girls", I have already fantasizes about adding EEs and Laced Wyandottes.
BUT, pfft, being responsible and not adding any until I have established my new flock (*whispers* but, what if mine aren't all pullets? wouldn't it be okay to get a couple of EEs this year, after all?).
Personally I do not like barred rocks. My kids call them 'zebra chickens' lol. They are pretty to look at and the rooster's favorites, but they did not lay NOT ONE egg all winter long! Both of them went a full 3 mos without laying anything! I was so mad. they are now back to laying nearly every day just like before, but geez this winter was horrible for them. Good luck with yours :)

Whew!! I come into 89 posts this morning!
th.gif

On the cute lil' baby chickies at TSC......I think I have that problem solved. For me. I keep a closed flock. Everything coming in, pretty much has to be laid and hatched right here. I did receive 3 cockerels from my neighbor lady next door...but as all of hers free range over here too.......they all share the same germs
lol.png
She keeps a closed flock also.

So.....as long as DH and I don;t go to a TSC.....I don't have to practice my self control! But, we have no place to put chicks anyways.

Whew!!  I come into 89 posts this morning!   :th     

On the cute lil' baby chickies at TSC......I think I have that problem solved.  For me.   I keep a closed flock.  Everything coming in, pretty much has to be laid and hatched right here.  I did receive 3 cockerels from my neighbor lady next door...but as all of hers free range over here too.......they all share the same germs :lol:      She keeps a closed flock also.

So.....as long as DH and I don;t go to a TSC.....I don't have to practice my self control!  But, we have no place to put chicks anyways. 

Have you thought about tthe living room? LOL

Mutts basically. ... They are eggs from my flock..... I have a BCM and a blue Ameracauna over EEs and Golden comets. Plus a few from a friend. Not sure what they are. This was a test hatch before I got some Salmon Faverolles hatching eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom