The Front Porch Swing

Quote: Patience GrassHoppa.... Look em up..... The Sawsall is a very useful tool.... IF your hubby has one have him teach you how to use it. They can be a little intimidating..... So can the angle grinder.... I have used both the sawsall can be used on just about anything from steel bars to cutting down whole chunks of wall. The angle grinder is a bit tenderer but can cut through steel as well as grind off any sharp bits. Best to have a metal file to remove any sharp bits the cutting tools might leave. works like sandpaper but its a steel bar with fine grooves in it.

deb

Quote: I grew up in my dads machine shop/Laboratory.... worked in a machine shop for a while. Back when it was a very male dominated field. Then as a Mechanical designer for big and little stuff.... big: Tooling for the C17 and the 777. Smallest stuff: Gene splicing tools and dental inplant prototypes. Where I shine is making work easier and more productive on Production lines.... And Sheet metal designs.... electro mechanical packager is the title. Putting computers in boxes.

deb

Quote: Patience GrassHoppa.... Look em up..... The Sawsall is a very useful tool.... IF your hubby has one have him teach you how to use it. They can be a little intimidating..... So can the angle grinder.... I have used both the sawsall can be used on just about anything from steel bars to cutting down whole chunks of wall. The angle grinder is a bit tenderer but can cut through steel as well as grind off any sharp bits. Best to have a metal file to remove any sharp bits the cutting tools might leave. works like sandpaper but its a steel bar with fine grooves in it.

deb

Okay looked it up, I have one of those we call it a Saw zall, which I think it what you guys were saying but I was hearing "s" not "z". You can really use this on metal? I have only used it on wood. Yep, used it once, made my raised garden beds with it. Scared the crud out of me the first time, then realized they are pretty darn safe and turned into a cutting fool.

Uh oh. The duck egg custard is SOOOOOO good I'm probably going to eat it all and forget to share. I much prefer the milk recipe to the sour cream/cream recipe. And this was the first time I cooked it in a hot water bath. It made all the difference. Super silky texture and no over cooking anywhere.

Just when I was saying recipes don't matter.

The automatic watering system ... I ran PEX pipe from my water source through my coop at the point where the roof & wall meet. From there I put in an elbo and dropped a line down to the Little Giant Automatic Poultry Fount as seen at this website ...

http://miller-mfg.com/page/1/Product-Detail.jsp?groupId=616&prodId=92833

I had trouble with them leaking at first ... but I replaced the interior valves with used valves I got for free at the tire store and it's all fine now. I still have to clean them, but only need to Cary water in the winter.

The manufacturer's site SUCKS, but you can find a video about how to install them, and get kits to connect them to a garden hose, and also get little tripod stands or wall clamps for them from a large retail site.

I got to learn how to do plumbing for that project!

Hello everyone, just got caught back up. Thank you all so much for your prayers and condolences
hugs.gif

Today, I redid my coops! Here is is the coop they were in. I call it a "grow out pen". It is 8x6x4, works great for my 7 smaller birds since they get to range all day every day. They only go in it to lay eggs, eat and sleep. It is a pain to bend over to go in and get their eggs, but it worked. However, DH did not want the chicken free ranging all the time, something about them getting priority over the dogs...besides I have a really nice big coop next to it, Just needed to get it re-set up.

Here it is, the dogs were kept in the kennel area, I had shorted it so it did not attach to the main coop. So I had to re-do that, then clean up really good, dogs are gross....plus fix holes the dogs had made. Now keep in mind I am 5'2 and these are 6 foot tall and 10 foot long, had to do it all by myself since DH had to work today. Then I took 2 20x6 shade cloths and connected them into a 20x12 shade cloth and attached it over the kennel. Can't have enough shade in TX. It was SUPER windy today so trying to mess with them was like working with a sail. My arms are exhausted but I am so happy with the result. Do not get me started about the main coop, it is NOT what I wanted, but DH built it for me and did not want my input, it is 8 feet high
hmm.png

But Rachel, 8 ft tall or not, if's perfect for Tx. I'm out of Shreveport and will be doing the same type of open air coop. Too darn hot to not leave it open. Good job!
celebrate.gif

I grew up in my dads machine shop/Laboratory.... worked in a machine shop for a while. Back when it was a very male dominated field. Then as a Mechanical designer for big and little stuff.... big: Tooling for the C17 and the 777. Smallest stuff: Gene splicing tools and dental inplant prototypes. Where I shine is making work easier and more productive on Production lines.... And Sheet metal designs.... electro mechanical packager is the title. Putting computers in boxes.

deb

No wonder.
bow.gif

sawsall suck and Im a man not to mention they are dangerous. Depending on what you are doing use a plung tool you can get one for about 20 at Habor freight they are sooooo convenient its not funny Be well grasshopper you couldnt give me a sawsall

Last edited:
I grew up in my dads machine shop/Laboratory....  worked in a machine shop for a while.  Back when it was a very male dominated field.    Then as a Mechanical designer for big and little stuff....    big: Tooling for the C17 and the 777.  Smallest stuff:  Gene splicing tools and dental inplant prototypes.  Where I shine is making work easier and more productive on Production lines....  And Sheet metal designs.... electro mechanical packager is the title.  Putting computers in boxes.

deb

Soooo you're the person who designed how to put all that stuff in a box that when you take it out it NEEEEVER fits back in there??? Aha you did that! hahaha

If we ever have one of those SHTF episodes I want you with me! :)

My boyfriend is really smart when it comes to mechanical things... like fixing cars, welding of all kinds, electricity, fixing anything mechanical - and he never went to school for any of it except probably to become "certified" in welding. (And he's huge and has big muscles AND he is Christian which is altogether so sexy! LOL) If you're two minds got together you could probably build a space shuttle from scratch and fly it to the moon!!!

Back
Top Bottom