The Front Porch Swing

This poor girl fixed her problem... " This morning, I got up, looked out, three dogs inside the pen and all of my chickens are dead. I cannot figure out how the dogs got in, but they could not get out.

My shotgun worked very well this morning. I will be going out in a few minutes to pull the dogs out of the pen to dispose of them and my chickens." https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/849370/current-predator-problem-solved-warning-gruesome-and-sad
Oh My I know how hard that was.....
hugs.gif
Are you going to follow through with SSS? I know you did the first part but did any one hear? It really sounds like they were put in there doesnt it?

I had a Pack of five Queenslands try to get at my goats once.... When they get into pack form there is nothing short of shooting them that will work. Fully suppported here by law too. I was able to deter them but their owner moved away and left them locked in their kennels.... What a piece of work she was. Animal control took em.

deb

Oh My I know how hard that was.....  :hugs   Are you going to follow through with SSS?  I know you did the first part but did any one hear?  It really sounds like they were put in there doesnt it?

I had a Pack of five Queenslands try to get at my goats once....  When they get into pack form there is nothing short of shooting them that will work.  Fully suppported here by law too.    I was able to deter them but their owner moved away and left them locked in their kennels.... What a piece of work she was.  Animal control took em.

deb

I believe that poster said she buried them in her flowerbed. lol But the stupid neighbor did go get two more dogs. I would hate to have to do that (SSS) but I'm sure I would.

Last edited:
Blooie, I'm always amazed at how God gives us the strength we need (just when we need it, not before) to get through the really tough times.  And not just strength, but a peace that is so real but can't be explained.  Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Searsmom, I'm praying for your Dad.  It's never easy to lose someone close - no matter what the age.  And as parents age, they lose more and more of their siblings and friends.  Each one is a reminder of how fragile life really is.  My mother in law passed away a month ago.  She was 86 and her body was falling apart in many ways, but her spirit remained strong to the end.  The pastor at the funeral told us we haven't "lost" her.  You can't lose someone when you know where they are.  That's been a comfort to us.  My mom died 12 years ago from breast cancer - she was 61.  Both these women set a wonderful example of how to live life to its fullest and how to accept what life gives us graciously without complaining and how to see life with the glass half full rather than half empty.  And most of all how to live life letting God's love shine through them and splash on anyone that came near them.  I have big shoes to fill.  I no longer have these women praying for me and our kids.  I'm realizing I'm now  that next generation and it's my responsibility to hold up others in prayer as they did. Sobering and a bit scary.  I don't feel old enough for this. 

Bee, thanks for sharing the hatching of your chick.  What a little miracle.  How does he look now?  I've never seen one hatch, so that was special.  Always seen chicks as a day old.  I'm really hoping one of my hens goes broody.  I had one go broody a couple months ago, but it was so cold, there was no way I'd let her try hatching some.  With everyone talking of getting chicks now, I'm wishing for some too.  But first things first - I need to build a bigger coop!

Wishing you all a special Sunday tomorrow!

Very well stated PrairieChick. You sure gave me some thoughts to ponder on today. I like the thought of God's love "splashing" on others that we come in contact with. Kind of like a water sprinkler is the instrument use to dispense water to dry thirsty grass our lives can be the instruments used to dispense or share God's love to the thirsty souls we are around. Beautiful picture. I too am in the "older generation" part of my family. May I be the Godly influence on the next generation that my parents/grandparents were for me. Thank you for this beautiful post.

Welcome Frances to the porch. Your thoughts and comments are always welcome here.

Good for you. I keep a shotgun in my tackroom for personal and animal protection.

There are 3 Great Danes that are huge, they are as tall as I am standing, while they are on all fours. They don't like me to do my morning walk. Several other dogs that run loose in my subdivision. Many squeeze through my gate. They are not happy to see me ... they forget it is my huge yard. They are learning. My neighbor was home when I shot at his dog who was in my yard. Their dog always comes on property, growls and tries to intimidate me. I just tried to scare it away. Regardless, they bought a dog kennel for their already fenced in yard. They realize I am not messing around. A couple of years ago my husband had 150 chickens and another neighbors pitbull attacked and killed all his chickens! The owner to the fence when he was yelling at them. He was going to shoot them. The chickens were all dead. He waited for her husband who she had immediately called. The other day we called that neighbor to tell him his dog was killing his chickens. He said, "He is killing your chickens?" My husband responded, "No, yours!" ... Now he knows what that was like. Consequently when I take my walk I carry my handgun, and my knife. I carry a stick only to help me walk because I am disabled and unsteady. I know if I go down they will also. Let me add, before my disability from a horrific motor vehicle accident I was a Sheriff's Deputy. Now I just patrol my property.

Sorry your story about the dogs reminded me of this moment. Now I think, Maybe I shouldn't have posted this on this. Sorry.

Frances, I think you came to the right porch! Put your shotgun over there by your swing, grab some food and drinks and sit a spell.....we LOVE a strong woman here.
big_smile.png
Feelings run strong here and everyone understands and have been there a time or two before. I love dogs....but I've also shot dogs. My mother has shot so many dogs over the years she has a place called "Dog Holler" and is teased about the "walk of no return". We have a zero tolerance policy... after almost 40 yrs on this property we've seen it all.

Welcome to the Porch!
hugs.gif

Welcome to the porch Frances. You can sit on my haybale any day.
smile.png

Exactly!
Oh my goodness what a cutie!! Her smile makes me smile right back at her, even though I know she can't see me!

There is so much to be said for an older house. Details that today's builders don't even see are what make an old house special. I know that there are a lot of folks who love those clean, flat lines in a house, but I think I'd find myself at Home Depot or Lowes buying architectural details like columns to put between rooms, those ornately carved finishings for door and window frames, and big, bold baseboards. Good luck with the final steps, and here's lifting my glass to a quick sale of your current home so you can get settled into the new one soon.

Welcome Francis! If I've learned anything in my week or so on the porch (has it only been that long? I think I'm wrong there!) it's that if you feel it, think it, saw or heard it, we're interested in it. No need to apologize - there probably isn't one of us who even raised an eyebrow!

Perfect!! Those surprises keep life and love fun! I asked Ken one time, "Why do you think we're still so happy together?" His reply floored me - "Well, for me it's because there are so doggone many of you running around here and I never know from day to day which one of you will be home." I think there's a compliment buried in there somewhere.

Amen to all of that!!
woot.gif

Hey everyone! I didn't get online much yesterday, so I just got caught up! The 3 year old has been sick since yesterday, so that has kept me pretty busy! She has a stomach bug or something, so it will probably go through everyone....
sickbyc.gif

The chick is cute Bee!
Loved the stories!
I can totally relate to the dog incidents.... although I haven't seen the huskies on our property as long as Ratchet is outside. Although we did see them in the neighbor's (not owner) yard across the road, and coming down the road.... So Hubby got the shotgun and I got the .22 out. We didn't have to use them though!

clap.gif
I love it that you were ready to use them! I love it when folks are displaying fortitude in their lives, especially young couples. Better to have them and know how to use them and be willing to do so, then to not be prepared and be crying by the end of the day over the senseless loss of hard work and lives under your stewardship.

Very well stated PrairieChick. You sure gave me some thoughts to ponder on today. I like the thought of God's love "splashing" on others that we come in contact with. Kind of like a water sprinkler is the instrument use to dispense water to dry thirsty grass our lives can be the instruments used to dispense or share God's love to the thirsty souls we are around. Beautiful picture. I too am in the "older generation" part of my family. May I be the Godly influence on the next generation that my parents/grandparents were for me. Thank you for this beautiful post.

Welcome Frances to the porch. Your thoughts and comments are always welcome here.

Ditto x 10 to all of that!

You know what I love about this thread? All of the collective wisdom and compassion! I have rarely, in my entire life, met such a group of women as you all. It's incredible to have met you, hear your stories, sample from your wisdom and encouragement and, the most important, to have been the recipient of your prayers. What a group of prayer warriors you all are! It's humbling and magnificent to know you.....I think of you all often and pray for you as often, as well. You fill my heart to overflowing and it makes me cry sometimes~ but from joy~ and that's a good thing.

The stories I hear on this Porch are going to stay with me now and I'll cherish them and draw wisdom from them....for we are that next generation of older, venerable women who are called upon to be patient, to pray, to instruct, to forgive and to love. I feel the weight of that responsibility too and it helps to know that others share that burden. It also helps to know we can come together for support and encouragement when that burden grows heavy or to share the joy of it too.

Well I found Lucy this way outside. I'm tired of dealing with animals dying. I've no idea what's wrong with her. She laid an egg yesterday. She's eating a bit of banana. Just frustrated cause I have report cards due tomorrow. Her crown has turned from red to maroon. Ugh

Well I found Lucy this way outside. I'm tired of dealing with animals dying. I've no idea what's wrong with her. She laid an egg yesterday. She's eating a bit of banana. Just frustrated cause I have report cards due tomorrow. Her crown has turned from red to maroon. Ugh

I'm sorry.
hugs.gif
Sounds like she is losing circulation to her periphery for some reason and it could just be a heart condition reaching it's zenith. Some years back I had some birds that just dropped off the roost dead~fine the day before, dead the next morning, here and there and about the same time frame(after their first year), and they had purple combs like this and when I opened them up, all I could find were blood clots in the pulmonary arteries...they were all from the same batch of chicks and same hatchery, just the black sex link birds and the Dominiques. It had never happened before and has never happened since, even in the other chicks from that time and source, so I just put it down to bad genetics and rolled on.

Sometimes it just happens and there is nothing you can do and it's not your fault, though it always feels bad.
hugs.gif

Thanks Bee. Gosh this has been a hard year as far as death in animals are concerned. A hamster in jan, and the rabbit last week and the guinea pig Thursday and now Lucy. My daughter is just about as devastated as one can get. Me-it's a sweet chicken but there's many more chickens. I just need a few months where everything lives.

I'm sorry Lucy is sick. It's discouraging when they get sick and you can't do anything about it. And it's even harder when life is demanding and busy in other areas.

Lindsey, I hope your little girl is feeling better today. I remember when one of our girls would get sick, I would brace myself for everyone else catching whatever it was. Hopefully this time it will skip the rest of you!

Welcome, Frances. Come put your feet up and rest a bit. I'd like it if you were in my neighbourhood patrolling. : ). Hopefully those dogs will learn soon to leave you and your place alone! After reading some of these posts, I'm realizing how fortunate we've been over the last 20 years here. Only had a stray or neighbor dog on our yard twice in all that time. We've trained ours to stay at home. It probably helps that our nearest neighbor is a mile away with farm land inbetween.

Bee, I'm wondering how you're managing with your broken toe. That can be so painful. Is it improving at all? Have all your chicks hatched? When I went to get eggs today, one of my hens growled at me and didn't want to get off her nest. So I'm hopeful she'll decide she wants to sit on some eggs! Does a person wait a few days to see if she'll stay on the nest? And do you leave some eggs under her now to encourage it? I'm saving a few of the kinds I would like to hatch out. I read somewhere that they can stay at room temperature for 10 days before you put them under the hen.

Thanks Bee. Gosh this has been a hard year as far as death in animals are concerned. A hamster in jan, and the rabbit last week and the guinea pig Thursday and now Lucy. My daughter is just about as devastated as one can get. Me-it's a sweet chicken but there's many more chickens. I just need a few months where everything lives.

Praying for your hard year....here's a set of verses that I have found to be of comfort, to yield exactly what they say will happen if one does what it says to do and I've tested it over and over...it works, God works, and is faithful to His promises. Such peace that it truly does surpass human understanding and my mother and I will sit around marveling at that feeling and how immense it is, not a bit understanding how anything can feel this good. These verses are in context to this particular time in the world and on Earth and, when applied(there is action required on our part) will yield amazing results.

Philippians 4: 4-9

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

I hope these verses will help you through this stressful and difficult time and it seems like a paradox to give verses that tell you to rejoice when you are at your lowest, but I know the "prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving", will result in the rejoicing part in the end...at least, it has for me and this word is for all.

I was just watching "Mr Ed" ...nope nothing on TV. lol This is a little before my time but you "old folks" will like it - and Mr Ed. hahaha

Back
Top Bottom