The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

um, i have never baked fruit well, short of a pie how do you do that?
I take the seeds out first (core the fruit), put it on an oven-safe plate - then pour juice (usually apple juice or orange juice) into the area where the core was. I wrap aluminum foil around it and bake it at 350 for an hour. It's easy and a great 'human treat' too.
smile.png

I'll look that up thanks...
When I make my girls the bread pudding I also add some scratch and other things like sunflower seeds before I bake it.I also substitute Blackberries for the blueberries because that's what I have,the recipe is really versatile.
My girls and boy
big_smile.png
enjoying their bread pudding.

Last edited:
I add grapes to the water befor I put the oatmeal in. It flavors the water a bit grapey.

I then add honey to the grape oatmeal. They gobble it up. Lets face it ..most humans dont like "plain" oatmeal either ;p

I plop down extra pancakes and french toast is a hit.

I'll have to try the cream of wheat ..been years since I had any myself

You could try corn meal mush (super easy to make)

I gave my girls oatmeal this morning, just to see how they would do. I also added garlic and ACV to it since they won't touch it if its in their water. SUCESS!! They gobbled it up!!! I wasn't sure if they would go for it with the ACV and garlic, but they didn't seem to mind it. Good luck! Hope you can find something that works for them on cold days!

1-2 cups of Cooked Oatmeal
1/4 cup Layer Crumble
1/4 cup Scratch
a handful of dried cranberries
a big ol dollop of plain Yogurt

Should have a kind of sticky crumbly granola texture
Served at 90-105 degrees.

Treats up to 10 hens

Some mornings I feel like I just might lose an eye for not putting the pan down fast enough for them.

Last edited:
Our chickens get all kinds of healthy food scraps, from dried out bread to old cooked pasta to vegetable scraps. We've also given them plain old wheat, and they love it. When I first gave my birds cooked oatmeal, they latched right onto it in a feeding frenzy. I would encourage you to try again with the cooked oatmeal. My flock sometimes needs a couple of chances to learn what new treats are, such as yogurt or worms.

Back
Top Bottom