The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

231046_4089316196569_1643622472_n.jpg
69461_4089322516727_391107660_n.jpg
their first treat of warm scratch and granola oatmeal raisan bran, they loved it.

So...It's Thanks Giving, and I wanted to give the girls a treat. I haven't tried oatmeal yet, so I didn't know how they felt about hot/warm foods. But, last week, when the Halloween pumpkin (not jack-o-lantern) gave up the ghost, I cooked it. So, today's Thanks Giving treat is warmed cooked pumpkin. And it's a HIT! Also gave them some yogurt, a treat they are familiar with, and they liked both pretty much equally. Keep in mind, after reading on here how many folks give their flock raw squash and pumpkins, it was clear that my girls were completely unimpressed by the au natural veg. Cooking it seems to have made all the difference. Also, if your husband is as stingy about turning up the thermostat as mine is, it makes a great excuse to turn the oven on for an hour or so, and thereby warming the kitchen up a bit. Added perk! So...scientific experiment results say, "cooked pumpkin rocks!"

mm

Speaking of Pumpkin... Mine like it raw... I just set that bad boy out the day after Halloween and let them pick off of it for a few days until it starts to go moldy, then I chuck it in the compost bin...

They love it.

LOL

My chickens have always loved oatmeal,but maybe add some fruit that is about to go bad like bananas or a chopped up peach

Hello Everyone..

We are new to the chicken world.. Our girls are only 8 weeks old.. We also read that they would love Oatmeal, We tried it and they also gave us
a look of " No Way" we have tried cooked broccoli and Cottage cheese..they eat them up so fast its crazy...actually they are so funny cause they actually stand in the bowl to eat it before anyone else can..
cool.png

However did want to know if it is better to feed the treats at night on the cold nights or do morning...would love to have something to feed them
so that the body temp goes up while they are trying to digest it at night.. Thanks

However did want to know if it is better to feed the treats at night on the cold nights or do morning...would love to have something to feed them
so that the body temp goes up while they are trying to digest it at night.. Thanks
There is nothing you can feed that will make the body temperature go up.
You can feed foods that will make them feel warmer like oats and alfalfa meal but the bulk of there feed at night or in the morning should be there regular feed.

Chris

When you try a new food just toss some scratch or cracked corn on top and they'll give it a try. Usually. Once one starts to peck at it the others will get jealous and come over and try it. They're like little kids who say, "Hey how come I didn't get any" ??
lol.png

When we did a cold snap i thought i'd try some oatmeal, i put it out warm(not hot) but they never touched it.

so do i try again or is there something else that may appeal better?
s
I would.sometimes they are finicky.Mine are picky at first too.My grown girls didnt like fodder but now love itFavprits are white bread and yogurt

1-2 cups of Cooked Oatmeal
1/4 cup Layer Crumble
1/4 cup Scratch
a handful of dried cranberries
a big ol dollop of plain Yogurt

Should have a kind of sticky crumbly granola texture
Served at 90-105 degrees.

Treats up to 10 hens

Some mornings I feel like I just might lose an eye for not putting the pan down fast enough for them.
I made this for the girls- My goodness they loved it! I added 1/2 a cup of scratch and dried cherries, and i didn't have yogurt. Yum yum!

Back
Top Bottom