The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

My chickens LOVE LOVE LOVE tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But that's weird. My chickens love oatmeal. But chickens are different. Has anybody tried popcorn with their own chickens?
pop.gif
Yes! If you haven't...you should. :p My chickens get the unpopped kernels and the left over popcorn and at the bottom of the bowl. NOTHING goes to waste here!

Lol! I still think I might struggle.. But with gloves I bet I could!

Bridget

Same with earwigs. My daughter freaks at the sight of one (same with spiders) and I can't claim earwigs are my favorite insect. BUT the girls LOVE them! So I found myself collecting them from around the above ground pool after I pulled a hunk of tall weed and found earwigs were living under it. Threw them in a quart yogurt container one by one and put the top on after each or they would crawl out. Shake it before opening to put the next one in. Take it down to the girls and end up with chickens in my lap with their heads shoved in the container (they do NOT understand sharing equitably). I worked my way around the pool for a week or so then ran out. But I bet there will be more next year
smile.png
So, you kind of get used to the creepy crawlies when it is for THE GIRLS!
big_smile.png
And though I haven't raised meal worms, if I recall, they are WAY less creepy than earwigs. At least they don't go scurrying this way and that and don't have pincers.

Bruce

Speaking of Pumpkin... Mine like it raw... I just set that bad boy out the day after Halloween and let them pick off of it for a few days until it starts to go moldy, then I chuck it in the compost bin... 

They love it.

LOL

OMG i have the same colored hens as you what are their names???!!!
left to right: Miggy, Chicken hawk, and Phenox

Last edited:
Mine are mad about rice, they like bread but rice is their favourite.
I read though that like with people white rice is not great so mine have a a cup of brown in the morning and the evening when they come out to peck and scratch and to get them in at night.
I add raw rolled oats to their food and this month am going to add some whole oats to see if they like it.
Mine dont like the mash version of anything. Anything that is too powdery they leave behind.
good luck with the cold guys, here in Africa we have huge heat and ran at the moment!

Same with earwigs. My daughter freaks at the sight of one (same with spiders) and I can't claim earwigs are my favorite insect. BUT the girls LOVE them! So I found myself collecting them from around the above ground pool after I pulled a hunk of tall weed and found earwigs were living under it. Threw them in a quart yogurt container one by one and put the top on after each or they would crawl out. Shake it before opening to put the next one in. Take it down to the girls and end up with chickens in my lap with their heads shoved in the container (they do NOT understand sharing equitably). I worked my way around the pool for a week or so then ran out. But I bet there will be more next year
smile.png
So, you kind of get used to the creepy crawlies when it is for THE GIRLS!
big_smile.png
And though I haven't raised meal worms, if I recall, they are WAY less creepy than earwigs. At least they don't go scurrying this way and that and don't have pincers.

Bruce
I'm not a fan of creepy crawlies of any type, but since getting my girls I've had to learn to handle them! It's just getting chilly here in France, and we've been chopping logs for the fire that have been out in the garden for the last 18 months - so they've got beetles and grubs that have started to burrow in to them. Each time I split a log and the bugs fall out I pick them up (with a bit of tissue or loose bark!) and put them in a pot. When I've finished chopping logs, I go out to the garden and my 3 girls come running. Blackie is the real insectivore - she grabs as many as possible, and as soon as she has finished she rushes over to the others to steal what they have got - Rusty hesitates a bit before diving in, and Cinders is so slow to react to wriggly things that she rarely gets a look in - even if she does get hold of one, she takes so long to eat it that the others often finish theirs and come running over to steal it off her! Sharing is definitely not a word to use in relation to chickens! At least it's giving me a free course of aversion therapy to all things wriggly!!!

My girls love cream of wheat. Oatmeal isn't a problem with them. They like it cooked and raw. Have you tried giving them uncooked oatmeal first?
Haven't tried cream of wheat, probably because I personally think it's yucky. Reminds me of when I was sick as kid and it was the only food that "would stay down." Anyway, my chickens love oatmeal, and we're supplementing their calcium by mixing in a half teaspoon of finely ground egg shells (cleaned and baked).
One thing they like that surprised us is turnip. We acquired a very large turnip, so I cooked it and mashed it, and it was awful -- very bitter. Sugar didn't even help the taste, so we thought we'd try it out on our four BRs -- they ate it up as if it were delicious. I hope their enthusiasm endures until it's all gone.

Back
Top Bottom