The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

wow thanks for the idea. We have lots of creamed corn, from when my father in law was around, he could not eat whole corn. Any ways, I am going to give my girls some of this daily. see what happens.

Let us know if they like it, my girls hate everything--even oatmeal. They would prefer to just have their crumbles mixed up in warm water. I give up trying other things at the moment because they don't like anything I give them. They are still young, 12 weeks, so maybe that'll change? I did find that they like granola but wouldn't eat any of the dried fruit that was in it.

I havn't tried cooked oatmeal with my chickens yet, but they absolutely love some uncooked oatmeal and raw carrot chunks stuck in warm water. (drain most o the water before giving it to them) lol, they loved it so much, that my flock leader Skye forgot to beat my bantam Chipmunk up
gig.gif

(If you want the full recipe, type in: Simple Chicken Treat Recipes, you'll find it and many other recipes)

Sticky Chicky

1-2 cups Cooked Oatmeal (above photo cooked in whole milk)
1/4 - 1 cup Layer Crumble
1/4 - 1/2 cup Scratch
a handful Dried cranberries
a big dollop Plain Yogurt

Should have a kind of sticky crumbly granola texture
Served at 90-110 degrees. Treats up to 10 hens

Above photo was taken this morning... when it was 17 degrees.

Last edited:
I havn't tried cooked oatmeal with my chickens yet, but they absolutely love some uncooked oatmeal and raw carrot chunks stuck in warm water. (drain most o the water before giving it to them) lol, they loved it so much, that my flock leader Skye forgot to beat my bantam Chipmunk up
gig.gif

(If you want the full recipe, type in: Simple Chicken Treat Recipes, you'll find it and many other recipes)
YAY! I love finding chicken recipes. :D Thank you!

You'll never guess what I made them- Tea! Yup. Tea. LOL they dove in thinking it was something solid and got their faces all wet.
roll.png
Silly chickens.

Last edited:
Whole oats, cooked with water to cover, is what race horses were fed back in the "old days". It isn't a pleasant smell, but as most chicken lovers will attest, if it's for the girls, anything goes, including odd smells from the kitchen! I loved making mash for our horses in colder weather, and they loved eating it! My layers are the same; just remember that the protein content of oats is much lower than any commercially feed for layers, 9 - 10%. I use a 20% flock feed for all my fowl, so I have a bit of wiggle room to add oats/scratch. Fifty pounds of whole oats goes a LOT further than any packaged oatmeal. Mine eat it as part of their "treat ration" with no problems, but since we're talking about warmed food for a cold winter night......

Cook the whole oats in a large pot, and keep adding water as needed. Stir often to prevent sticking and scorching, there should always be enough water to remain soupy. Once the grain bloats and splits, it's done. Store any remaining in the fridge for a quick warm up as needed for your cold nights.....add anything you want to this mixture, scratch, raisens, yogurt, ground flax, etc. I won't have any left overs between the horses and the fowl :)

Hope this helps!

Diane
You have a horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif
Lucky.

Back
Top Bottom