The Girls look scared!!!!

Half-a-dozen

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2007
NJ
barnie.gif

We are done enough with the coop that tonight we moved them in there ( our 12 girls)
It's pretty warm out (In NJ) so I was going to leave the heat lamp off. Wasn't sure if they should have it or not. (they are 4 weeks old)
I got them all set up but they stayed huddled in the corner chirping like crazy!!!!
I walked back in they came running over and settled down a bit. So I tried it again and they went crazy again! Huddling, chirping loudly
th.gif
I am very worried about them. I took a light w/ a 60 watt bulb and put it in there. They did quite down but they DO NOT LOOK HAPPY!!!!!! and my DH is thinking they will get eaten alive by misquetos. (Is that possible?)
I am ready to camp out in the coop tonight. Is this behavior normal? (the birds not mine-lol My DH assures me mine is not normal!-lol)
ep.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The mosquitoes won't bother them. They'll probably eat 'em for you! Just try to set things up so they have a cozy little corner of the coop with a light & food & water & maybe a roost to try out. They should be fine after awhile. Mine adjusted quickly, but still sleep with a light on! (We joke that it looks like there's a party going on in the hen house at night!
lol.png
)

I like the party statement. I must have peered out the window 50 times since I came in. My husband too made a joke about our chickens being the only ones that need a night light!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only problem I had with mine the first night was that they didn't go into the coop when it got dark. They all huddled between the coop and the fence to the other pen. I had to toss their feathery behinds into the coop and close the door. The next night(and everyone since) they all went inside before I got out there.

Cgrn,

Sounds like your babies just LOVE LOVE you, and want you to be there. I've noticed this a bit with my brood, too. I had taken them outside about a week ago for the very first time, and put them in their grown up run to play a bit. They wouldn't do anything but cheep and stand in one spot unless we were sitting with them! They are still like this a bit, although since I take them out every day they've gotten better. I do notice they will keep me in sight, though, and keep peering through the wire at me (especially my girl Sally.. love that chick!). For me, anyway, I think of it like my kids. They are in a new situation and aren't comfortable so they look to mom to make them feel better. As long as mom is around, they are fine and can play. When mom leaves, they are scared and not sure what to do.

I bet if you give them a few days they'll be fine out there.

Meghan

Thanks everyone, they have adjusted nicely just as you all said. Yesterday evening 50% of the even went back in to the coop to go to bed
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Now- Happy Girls and lovin thier coop!
ya.gif

chickens will roost where there is the most light. The only time I have seen this not be so, is when they are conditioned to go into the coop, which they usually do at dusk.

Another reason to leave a nite light (I use a very small bulb, one meant for a childs nit light), is that Mosq. carry fowl pox, if they can see them they will snatch them out of the air and eat them, If they cant the Mos. will get free meals.

Back
Top Bottom