Is the mama rejecting the baby?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
This mama's first baby hatched last Monday under her. She kept pooping on the eggs so I brought them inside to incubate. On Friday a chick hatched in the incubator. I brought the mama in and at night put it under her. It worked like a charm.

I was about to shut down the incubator last night but heard a chick and left it alone. I wanted to wait until it could move around before I put it under her. I moved the mama in again tonight, waited until it was dark and put the chick under her. I thought the mama took her but the chick is now chirping nonstop. I put on a headlamp and turned the red light on and saw the chick just laying next to the mama, not huddled in. I accidentally let the mama see the chick and she pecked at it. I picked it up and put it under the mama's tail. I couldn't see it anymore but it's still chirping.

At what point do I give up? I don't want the chick to die overnight because it didn't get sufficient heat. What else can I do?

How is the situation now?
It was a pretty restless night. The chick was still chirping for a long time but there were longer pauses in between and I noticed they sounded different. I put on my headlamp again just to double check and I guess it was just a chatty chick or happy it had a mom now because they were huddled up. The mom seemed to move a lot through the night and the chick chirped each time she moved. This went on until about 1 or 2am I think. 😪 I had them in my room and I was nervous to sleep until they did but I dozed on and off.

They seem well acquainted now though and have accepted each other. I put them back in the dog crate so the chick could have more space to practice walking.

Back
Top Bottom