The girls will not come into the coop at night

For what it’s worth, I have two, sometimes three, small bantam hens that do not go into the coop unless I put them there. I have been moving them off the outside “roost” (which is in the rafters of their run, about 5.5 feet up in the air) and putting them inside the coop for almost a year now. I think they’ve gotten used to it. When I come in at night, they start talking and get ready for me to pick them up. I think they think that me moving them inside is just part of the routine. If I don’t come out to do it, they don’t go in. Guess I started a bad habit, but they’re cute, so I don’t mind.

Because in most cases runs aren't as secure as coops. Mine sure as heck isn't as it's topped with netting.

Neither is mine but over the past three years through the use of traps, snares and a tactical scope with an illuminated reticle mounted on a Ruger .22 Hornet I have pushed those troublesome predators to the brink of extinction. Its effective, there is no recividism and it is very satisfying to eliminate a chicken killer.

Once again 3 decided to stay outside in the run. I even put a lite in the coop just as it was getting dark and they chose to stay on the roost in the run. I will try taking the run roost down tomorrow nite. I put the food inside also hoping that will bring them in. I guess it is not a big problem as long as they go into the boxes in the morning to lay the eggs

Neither is mine but over the past three years through the use of traps, snares and a tactical scope with an illuminated reticle mounted on a Ruger .22 Hornet I have pushed those troublesome predators to the brink of extinction. Its effective, there is no recividism and it is very satisfying to eliminate a chicken killer.

In many areas some of those options aren't really options (i.e. urban or suburban keepers), like I'm in a no-shoot zone. Just easier for me to lock up the chickens at night, rather than wage war with all the critters going bump in the night.

Back
Top Bottom