The Great Capon Experiment

Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Aledo, TX
The development of the Cornish X, while a HUGE success in the meat production area, has created a situation that is (to me) untenable. That is the treatment of the male chicks of DP or egglaying breeds that are hatched in hatcheries. These little animals are immediately deemed useless by the almighty dollar seeking corporations and are discarded in trash cans or stuffed alive into grinders. Now, I have no problems with corporations seeking to make a profit, I am all for that. But IMHO, this profit should not come at the expense of blatant animal cruelty. We the people have become so removed from our food supply that most Americans only give this a passing cringe.

If that is not bad enough, at the other end of the food chain, the local food banks are PLEADING for donations of food to cover the ever increasing demand from a hungry population that has come about as a result of the bad spell in the economy. I hope that I am not the only one that sees the irony of this situation. For my small part I have decided to do something about it. Why not take the 'useless' little roos, caponize them so that they grow as fat and meaty as possible, and let urban and suburban flockowners raise them for their tables?

Seems to me like a match made in heaven. The supply is readily available. The initial cost is negligible. The surgery is simple enough that (with practice) farmers wives used to do it on a regular basis. The ban on roosters would not impact capons, so anyone allowed chickens could raise them. They don't fight so special accommodations are not necessary. They don't require special diets or monitoring like the CX do. And small flock owners would not have to decide whether or not to eat a perfectly good egg laying hen once their chickens reach 20 weeks. Capons are meant for one thing and one thing only. To get et. (Some will sit and brood as well, I have heard, leaving the egg layers free to keep laying. BONUS!)

Stepping off my soap-box now. So, here we go. After reading everything on this site and most of what's available on the internet, I have decided to give caponizing a try. I have ordered 100 surplus male chicks from a hatchery as my little guinea pigs. I will be weighing and keeping records of costs, successes and losses, all in the interest of furthering the revival of this lost art.

I know some people think I am wasting my time, but that's OK.
tongue2.gif
It gives me something to do that MAY be useful to others. Any productive input would be welcome.

Edited to add: This thread has been well monitored by the moderators. Please know in advance that any negative posts will be deleted:

Folks this has been cleaned again. Keep it on topic, and this is not the place for you to push your feeling on the practice of neutering any creature, including chickens, or surgery in general. This thread is for information sharing on a trial by one member of one husbandry practice. RELATED experience or contrasting experience may be shared for greater clarity.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
Precisely my thought when I saw those 100 & 200 (mostly male) assortments the other day... and cursed, yet again, our AC rules cuz we can only have FOUR... even if the no roos thing was bypassed... we only get four... gah.

Subscribing to this topic!!

Will you do your "experiment" on dead birds first? Caponizing/castrating an animal without anesthesia is barbaric... especially if it's done without great practice and expertise.

This idea proposal sound noble and I commend you for it. However have you considered how to get around just a few issues such as ... How are you proposing one is to get around the CC&Rs that the suburban and urban subdivisions impose on housing regarding keeping of livestock? What about the City laws regarding keeping livestock? Problems with Homeowner Association regulations ? Many people live in apartments or rental homes with no pets allowed rules. Public housing do not allow livestock. Performing surgery without a medcal license issues? Then there is the problem of cost of and optaining chicken feed from pet stores in the City by folk that have no clue of what a chicken will even eat. Need of private available transportion for the feed home and feed storage issues. Predator and rat, mouse and bird pest issues. How is one to get around the sanitary, odor, noise and organic waste disposal regulations? How about all of the posts on this board of aversion to killing, plucking, and cutting up the chicken? How about the bleeding heart animal rights advocates voicing their displeasure at one's coop door? Building codes,set back requirements, fire access, and health department codes of the area? Theft by the hungry or vandalism by criminal or vandal types? The local food banks just have no way to process or handle live or owner processed fowl donations. They will only accept frozen poultry from USDA inspected slaughtering plants or face Government red tape and closure and/or revoking of their tax exempt status, and/ or lawsuits. Etc.

Lorena -

The 'experiment' refers to monitoring growout rates, calculating feed/meat conversion rates and doing an overall feasability study on the potential benefits of backyard capons as a viable meat source for the average urban or suburban flock tender. I am not going to be doing barbaric mad-evil-scientist experiments with the birds.

I do plan to practice the surgery on dead birds, yes. It would be cruel of me to try to learn the basic process on a living animal and the whole purpose of this little excapade is to try to reduce a small fraction of animal cruelty in the world.

From what I have learned, the process is not barbaric. It's a little gross, maybe, but the surgery is generally well tolerated by the animals. They suffer less trauma than a bull or horse does during their castrations, and they recover much more rapidly.

We shall see. :)

Back
Top Bottom