The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Me too, I had 3 boxes I had to get packed and to the PO, our rural PO has limited hours so I have a narrow window of time to make it there. Just as I started out with the boxes, it started raining.

Yeah our local post office has limited hours usually between 12:30 and 3:30 and I have to rush and hurry to do things because with the limited hours there is usually a ton of folks lined up at the door. I try and wait until my postal worker comes to deliver the mail and let her take them into the big town, however some days she doesn't get her until 4pm. Today I was lucky only 3 people ahead of me. However my sons appointment took twice as long as normal, and I hate sitting in those hard chairs at the office.

Thanks! I find it all fascinating.

I will get you some more photos. after almost 2 hours at the doctors office with my son my back was killing me, and buffy was being cranky today and flapped me in the face. She doesn't like this heat so figured I will wait until its a bit cooler. Peaches was a pain getting her off to the bed tonight, she made us chase her all over the yard.Domino is back in the coop, hurt foot and all, she doesn't want to be on the porch with the chicks.
roll.png
So what a day. Then the eggs in the incubator started peeping today so that is the only upside of the day today. I can't wait to see those games hatch out.
big_smile.png

which breed of marans and how dark are the eggs on marans scale?

Black Coppers:

2 bloodlines, the darkest egg line (from Bev Davis) lays #8 to #9 but I won't have any to sell until late this year because I've been hatching them all. When I do put them up for sale, I have a MILE LONG waiting list!
ep.gif

The other line lays from #5 to #7, I have those hens with the roosters from the dark line I described above. Those are the eggs I've been selling.

I have two more dark egg bloodlines up and coming, they are just chicks now, I got them from Ernie Haire and Donna Prahl.

Wheatens:

Current flock lay from #5 to #8, but I have chicks from several dark lines that I'm going to cross into them.

Black Tail Buff:

#4 to #5
rant.gif
They were sold to me as a dark egg line and they're not! The danged things cost me an arm and a leg as shipped chicks. BUT I have some top quality BTB chicks from Donna Prahl so give me 8 or 10 months and I'll have dark eggs.

White:

Not sure yet, I have chicks from 3 bloodlines, 2 of those lines are from April Howington and Ernie Haire, so they should be pretty dark.

Black:

Chicks from April Howington, they should be dark.

Cuckoo:

Chicks from April Howington, they should be dark.

1 shipment of eggs got to Texas yesterday and 1 egg cracked, she said there was a dent in the box. Luckily I always send extras so out of 18 eggs she has 17 good ones. So even that worked out, I am happy. Luckily it was only 1 egg.

Jason and I tried the damp paper towel experiment, but when a box is roughed up nothing will make a difference. Only 2 of the eggs developed, neither was able to hatch, 1 damp towel 1 not. So disappointed. I also got 14 Bresse eggs from CA - these are from the same person who sent me 9 and I had 5 hatch a month ago, so I was excited - but they mangled that box as well, 4 broken eggs, of the 10 remaining eggs only 2 made it to the hatcher, due to hatch Saturday. These eggs were all packed well.

Has anyone here tried foam? Better/worse than bubble wrap?

Jason and I tried the damp paper towel experiment, but when a box is roughed up nothing will make a difference. Only 2 of the eggs developed, neither was able to hatch, 1 damp towel 1 not. So disappointed. I also got 14 Bresse eggs from CA - these are from the same person who sent me 9 and I had 5 hatch a month ago, so I was excited - but they mangled that box as well, 4 broken eggs, of the 10 remaining eggs only 2 made it to the hatcher, due to hatch Saturday. These eggs were all packed well.

Has anyone here tried foam? Better/worse than bubble wrap?

The best shipped eggs that I have gotten so far and are actually pipping today, came with foam under them, over them, and around them. However they were inside of specimen cups, and even the cover was on each one of them. Only one egg had a dent in it, and had to be tossed. Those eggs never budged in the cups. However with many bigger eggs that method may not work.

Has anyone ever shipped eggs in the #4 box? The one that's 7x7x6 inches? I'm assuming you couldn't get more than about 4 eggs or so in there. I'm wondering just roughly about how much the shipping cost would be.
I pack 14 eggs into a small regional box and then that box goes into a large Priority box. Padding and stuffing around it all.

Back
Top Bottom