The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

depends.....

here in alaska all mail sorting areas and waiting spots are heated.... so there is zero risk of the eggs freezing..... unless they get delivered to your door and sit out in the cold then.

Well, in that case, I may have another "beta shipping" auction to see how many eggs will fit in a shoe box, and how well they make the trip.
big_smile.png

the corrugations and the folds on the ends of the shoe box make it very weak

anyone carted chicks by car for a 6 hour ride?

What do you do for food and water? The chicks will be from 5 days to 3 days old.

Any experience?

I know this is an egg shipping thread.....

What do you do for food and water? The chicks will be from 5 days to 3 days old.

Any experience?

I have not done a 6 hour ride, but I have done a 3 hour ride. I had the incubator in the car with me, hatching on the way.
lol.png
Quite often when I am transporting chicks, I bring the whole brooder with the EcoGlow inside. They have a dish of food and a water bottle with a nipple, so no spilling. If you can't do that kind of set-up, you can use the disposable hand warmers, wrapped in a towel, for warmth. You can get some of the GrowGel that shippers use if you are worried about spillage along the way. You can probably find a recipe for homemade GrowGel that would work fine for a short trip.

Any experience?

we do it all the time - and even ship overnight on a plane

the chicks need warmth, our temps at night remain over 70 and we put a min of 10 chicks in a box. if ti was lower then i would add a heat pack

we ship with watermelon in the box to provide water and carbs during transport.

the longest shipping was 18 hours

Back
Top Bottom