The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Quote:
hide.gif
I only got second place for the participant award...Sally Sunshine won another contest today, best holiday picture. Congratulations to Sally!

Quote: We just finished the 4th annual NYD hatch-a-long. BYC member Sally Sunshine won nearly all of the contests. I won a calendar and a bumper sticker for second place in the best hatch participant contest.

I thought that was the congeniality award mentioned In the post.

Getting back to topic, I will candle tonight and see if I can get a picture.

That very first batch of the page is exciting looking. I loooove all those colored eggs. And those Marans *swoon*

One day I will hatch... baby steps.. baby steps...

I candled today and am pleased. It looks like something is going on in a all of them! I even caught one moving!

One has a wonky aircell so I will have to watch that one on lockdown.

I took a couple of pictures of one of them.

From the bottom:

From the top:

It's hard to tell with dark old Marans eggs, but clears glow more than this egg does.

fl.gif
So far so good.

I will candle again in a couple of days and if I see movement I will get a video of it.

Last edited:
I am "warming up" my semi-broody hen in anticipation of my hatching eggs arriving next week. I've been leaving her unfertilized eggs in the nesting box for the past two days. I have a couple of golf balls in there too. I went out to look at what was going on a little while ago, and she is sitting. I will check again this afternoon and see if she is still sitting, hope so. :D

I am "warming up" my semi-broody hen in anticipation of my hatching eggs arriving next week. I've been leaving her unfertilized eggs in the nesting box for the past two days. I have a couple of golf balls in there too. I went out to look at what was going on a little while ago, and she is sitting. I will check again this afternoon and see if she is still sitting, hope so.
big_smile.png
fl.gif
I hope she is sitting!

Welcome to the experiment, Bama!

Bama in helping me continue my education by gently leading me through "USPS Familiarization and Calculating Postage 101" which should improve my skill in getting eggs to consumers more economically and in a more timely manner. She has also provided my first experience with generating invoices and accounts payable with PayPal.

I will be shipping her a dozen hatching eggs on Monday, if the hens cooperate. Half of them will be dark and the other half will be blue. This time the package's destination is only 3 hours drive from me.

I made a trip to the local PO to discuss my situation with our local postmistress (gotta love living in a rural area) and LEARNED alot! I found out that ANYTHING mailed "Parcel Post" from our area, is routed through the hub in Atlanta! Even if it is going to a recipient in the same area.

This time I will be using a box that printer paper comes in. That sure will be better than paying $5 for a cardboard box from the PO like I did last time. It is smaller than the big ol' honking boxes SCG and Ron got, but it should work nicely, as long as I reinforce the seams with tape and support the sides by filling voids inside with shredded paper. I may even be able to find another box to use inside for double boxing (which I think really makes a difference.)

I went to Walmart and studied the bubble wrap section. Bubble wrap will cost from .10c to .21c per egg, depending on the quanity of bubble wrap purchased. I am still on the look-out for a source that will allow me to recycle their waste bubble wrap (free!)

Back
Top Bottom