The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
Thanks for the advice. I will defiantly try that. Two more days till lockdown. What's going to kill me is not opening it after i hear some have hatched.
Yes, that it is very hard. I do take them out if they have been in there for a day. I try to leave the most recently hatched as company for the ones still hatching. Opening the incubator or hatcher is ok if done quickly and rarely.

You can mist the eggs with a spray bottle if you have to open to do something. I have not had a shrink wrapped chick in a while but that may have more to do with incubation in a Brinsea.

Last edited:
Hey Ron what do you mean by "cut down" egg cartons?
Wait until day 18 or 19, take out the turner and set the eggs in cut down egg cartons. If possible set them across the openings.

Raise humidity to 70 percent.

fl.gif

Hey Ron what do you mean by "cut down" egg cartons?
Quote: I did show the picture of the flat didn't I?

Cut the pointy tops off of the egg carton--Makes it easier for the chicks to get out and allows more air flow.

Let me see if I have a better picture.

Last edited:
Thank you. That's what I though you mean but I wanted to be certain. I think your pictures are some of the most helpful things you post.
I did show the picture of the flat didn't I?

Cut the pointy tops off of the egg carton--Makes it easier for the chicks to get out and allows more air flow.

Let me see if I have a better picture.

I have some questions! 1) What happened if you out your eggs into lockdown a day early?
2) It's day 22 and no pips yet, should I be worried?

Thank you. That's what I though you mean but I wanted to be certain. I think your pictures are some of the most helpful things you post.
Quote: I am happy that they help! A lot of us are visual learners so we have to see pictures to understand what we are supposed to do. All of us learn better when more senses are involved. With this you get to read a description and see a picture so you get it two ways.

I have some questions! 1) What happened if you out your eggs into lockdown a day early?
2) It's day 22 and no pips yet, should I be worried?
Do you hear any cheeping? If there are no pips, you can open the incubator and candle the eggs. If the humidity has dropped you can add some warm water to the tanks.

Some breeds take longer(marans) and it is easy to get the days of incubation wrong. If the eggs hatch a day late all the time, you may need to increase the temperature in the incubator by .5 of a degree.

fl.gif
Hoping you get a pip soon and some to hatch!

Thanks. No. I don't hear anything. How do I tell if there a pips? Is that chirping?
Pips are cracks or holes in the egg. There is also an internal pip, when the chick break the membrane inside the egg and starts to breath. That is when you hear the chirps coming from the eggs.

The internal pip happens first and the a day or so later the external pip. They will sit for up to a day and then start breaking out of the shell with their egg tooth, cutting a circle off of the top of the shell.

It is so great to watch

Back
Top Bottom