The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
I've spent the last few hours reading this thread and I would like to thank all of you for your questions and the knowledge that you've shared. I ordered a BUNCH of shipped eggs and am now on day 10 and day 15. My day 15 batch is not doing so well. One of the boxes was horribly packed and horribly treated by USPS and I do not have a single one of those eggs left. I set 15 from that shipment and only 2 made it to day 7. At day 10 they were goners. I still have 8 in the incubator from a different shipment received on the same day. I did have quite a high failure rate on those as well but am happy that I still have some left with the possibility that they may hatch. My second set of shipments seem to be doing better. I received 54 eggs and at day 10, 43 are still going strong. I am a newbie at hatching but have pretty much gone all in! I also have the added complication of being at high altitude in a rural area. Anyways, thanks again for the entertainment! I've loved reading all your stories and seeing all the little chickies
big_smile.png

I've spent the last few hours reading this thread and I would like to thank all of you for your questions and the knowledge that you've shared. I ordered a BUNCH of shipped eggs and am now on day 10 and day 15. My day 15 batch is not doing so well. One of the boxes was horribly packed and horribly treated by USPS and I do not have a singley one of those eggs left. I set 15 from that shipment and only 2 made it to day 7. At day 10 they were goners. I still have 8 in the incubator from a different shipment received on the same day. I did have quite a high failure rate on those as well but am happy that I still have some left with the possibility that they may hatch. My second set of shipments seem to be doing better. I received 54 eggs and at day 10, 43 are still going strong. I am a newbie at hatching but have pretty much gone all in! I also have the added complication of being at high altitude in a rural area. Anyways, thanks again for the entertainment! I've loved reading all your stories and seeing all the little chickies
big_smile.png
You are very welcome!

A person here in California sends pre paid boxes with packing materials and instructions for packing the eggs. She figures if she is paying for the eggs and they are special enough to her then they will be packed correctly!

I've spent the last few hours reading this thread and I would like to thank all of you for your questions and the knowledge that you've shared. I ordered a BUNCH of shipped eggs and am now on day 10 and day 15. My day 15 batch is not doing so well. One of the boxes was horribly packed and horribly treated by USPS and I do not have a single one of those eggs left. I set 15 from that shipment and only 2 made it to day 7. At day 10 they were goners. I still have 8 in the incubator from a different shipment received on the same day. I did have quite a high failure rate on those as well but am happy that I still have some left with the possibility that they may hatch. My second set of shipments seem to be doing better. I received 54 eggs and at day 10, 43 are still going strong. I am a newbie at hatching but have pretty much gone all in! I also have the added complication of being at high altitude in a rural area. Anyways, thanks again for the entertainment! I've loved reading all your stories and seeing all the little chickies
big_smile.png
Hello, and Welcome to the thread! Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you sure the eggs are bad before you toss them? There is little to see at 7 days. I usually candle at 9-10 days and at 17-18 days. Even if I think there is a slight chance, I leave them. Clears, blood rings, weepers and stinkers are all that get tossed. There is another that I don't have a name for, y'all know the ones that have the really dark spots (bacteria?) growing on the inside surface of the shell?

I'm at day 14 and usually don't toss anything, but last night I had a rotten egg in there. It took me a while to track it down. I've never had that happen before.

Today I want to pull all the clears to make more room. I have another with those really black spots you were describing. I guess that should go too. I'm always afraid to pull them because I'm never sure what I am looking at.

Hello, and Welcome to the thread! Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you sure the eggs are bad before you toss them? There is little to see at 7 days. I usually candle at 9-10 days and at 17-18 days. Even if I think there is a slight chance, I leave them. Clears, blood rings, weepers and stinkers are all that get tossed. There is another that I don't have a name for, y'all know the ones that have the really dark spots (bacteria?) growing on the inside surface of the shell?
Wisher? Ron? I know I wish someone would post pics of eggs at the different stages of candling and describe what the see and exactly what they are looking for. It would help a Nimrod like me :)

Maybe this has already been done? If so where can I find it?

Thanks!

Dan

Last edited:
I'm at day 14 and usually don't toss anything, but last night I had a rotten egg in there. It took me a while to track it down. I've never had that happen before.

Today I want to pull all the clears to make more room. I have another with those really black spots you were describing. I guess that should go too. I'm always afraid to pull them because I'm never sure what I am looking at.

I don't know for sure what it is either, but have suspected that it is bacteria growth, since it looks like mildew (to me.) Maybe someone else can weigh in on this. I have egg-topsied them and they look the same from the inside, black growths on the membrane.

Quote:
What a great idea. Very few people are receptive to my requests for a particular packing method. It seems like they are set on their own methods and insist that wrapping the egg with paper towel until they fit tightly in an egg carton, has been very successful for them.(One example) Other just sent the paper towel wrapped eggs placed loosely in a sparsely filled tiny box with crumpled newspaper. Needless to say I barely got one to hatch out of them.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom