The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
Quote:
Thanks!
Yes, I posted that it was the one I have and I have been happy with it. I will have to admit that I don't trust it completely this (2nd) year. I don't know if it is losing battery, getting old or if I am just paranoid, but it seems to be acting squirrely.
I change the battery at every hatch for any ones that I put in. This one looks really nice.

.......wrapping the egg with paper towel until they fit tightly in an egg carton ...........just sent the paper towel wrapped eggs placed loosely in a sparsely filled tiny box with crumpled newspaper.
ep.gif
That made me nauseous just to read....................................I think I need to go lie down.......
th.gif

I'm at day 14 and usually don't toss anything, but last night I had a rotten egg in there. It took me a while to track it down. I've never had that happen before.

Today I want to pull all the clears to make more room. I have another with those really black spots you were describing. I guess that should go too. I'm always afraid to pull them because I'm never sure what I am looking at.

And for this reason I only pull when I'm sure they're not good, and I eggtopsy them so I can make sure I'm right or not.

eTo eggtopsy, get a ziploc bag and put eggs in it. Smash them open gently with a hammer or butter knife. Gently is the key, here. You want to be able to actually see what was in the egg. Slide the bag while holding onto the egg and the contents sill slip out for examination. You can do multiple eggs in the same ziploc, just do them one at a time, but put them all in at once BEFORE you start smashing things open that could potentially smell. You can mark the eggs before you put them in there, so you know what you saw via candling and correspond it to what came out of the shell. The bag is there to mask the smell and mess if there is one.

Quote:
ep.gif
That made me nauseous just to read....................................I think I need to go lie down.......
th.gif

30 years ago that method may have worked. The boxes are barely touched now. They go down a conveyor belt and are dropped into a bin. If the bin is full, it does not drop too far. If it is empty, it drops quite a distance. If they packed their box and held it over their head and dropped, they could then open the box and get a clue about what will happen to eggs wrapped in paper. There is not much shock absorption to paper....

Wisher? Ron? I know I wish someone would post pics of eggs at the different stages of candling and describe what the see and exactly what they are looking for. It would help a Nimrod like me :)

Maybe this has already been done? If so where can I find it?

Thanks!

Dan
What about it guys?

Dan

Good morning all, I have had no movement or signs of life in my final three eggs. I am sure they quitters. So sad! I have 7 happy, chirping, energetic chicks running around with the ones I hatched from my own eggs..... Wisher, I will get pics for you of the babies from your birds... Thank you again!!!!!!!

Good morning all, I have had no movement or signs of life in my final three eggs. I am sure they quitters. So sad! I have 7 happy, chirping, energetic chicks running around with the ones I hatched from my own eggs..... Wisher, I will get pics for you of the babies from your birds... Thank you again!!!!!!!

Pick the eggs up. Hold them right next to your ear and tap on the shell a few times with your fingernail. If you hear chirping back, put them back in the incubator.

If they've already pipped and are sitting there in the shell and it's been more than 8 hours, I'd help them out if they're still chirping. If you need help with that, let me know.

The candling photos and eggtopsy tips were very helpful. I just tossed 14 eggs. 11 were clear and/or scrambled looking. 2 were quitters, one earlier than the other, but both fairly early. I did not open the rotten egg! Didn't think I wanted to look at that one, even in a sealed bag.

16 eggs left now. Several I am not that sure about, but I'm leaving them for now.

Back
Top Bottom