The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
My temp is 98.8 ( I seem to get more hens) dry hatch until lockdown then 70% humidity. I turn all eggs first 18 days. But I think the biggest thing is your eggs! I have 16 black copper hens and 5 roosters, 5 cuckoo hens and 3 roosters and 3 blue copper hens and 1 rooster. I never let my eggs sit over a week. I do not turn eggs while sitting but I keep in basement on fridge so they get a little shake. The other big thing is your incubator. The brinsea seems to be big on here but for same money you can get a GQF 1202. My 1202 will stay at 98.8 for a year and with it being wood humidity is easier to keep up.

Good advice I hope! I know some things are diff from what you read online but this is what works for me and trust me I have had alot of trail and error!!!

you have a fan right?

Had the bator open last night and candled just because I still can't see anything. I haven't even be able to locate air sacs. I'm going with the keep trying but throw nothing out unless it smells method. Yesterday when I brought the Leghorn egg in I figured I would candle it. I was able to clearly see the air sac in the middle of the day in a room with a window. Note to newbies if you want to be able to actually see what's going on inside the Egg avoid welsummer and maran eggs.

Had the bator open last night and candled just because I still can't see anything. I haven't even be able to locate air sacs. I'm going with the keep trying but throw nothing out unless it smells method. Yesterday when I brought the Leghorn egg in I figured I would candle it. I was able to clearly see the air sac in the middle of the day in a room with a window. Note to newbies if you want to be able to actually see what's going on inside the Egg avoid welsummer and maran eggs.
If you want to see into the dark eggs, use the High Intensity Candler:

http://www.brinsea.com/products/egglume.html

It is well worth the extra cost. This is a Marans egg using the High intensity Candler:

The Ducks have all gone to the Egg Farmer's place in Winters CA.

Here is a picture of the first couple to hatch:

You're making me want to toss my duck eggs in the incubator. They've been collecting on the counter, and being turned twice a day... still not sure what I'm going to do with them, but keeping my options open.

Here is my flock !
3 d'uccle, 2 buff orps, 2 black copper marans, 2 easter eggers, 1 wheaten marans and 1 rumpless araucana. Wishers BCM and EE

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom