The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

barnie.gif
I sold some eggs..all went to the person unharmed..not even one micro crack... only 7 eggs 6+ 1 extra ,the person has 3 developing./ still going at 2 + weeks .wrote me i said he/she... wanted /expected 5 chicks out of 6 eggs..but i have extra's so..i said just shipping i will resend you some even more 8........they are going to report the first sale to ebay saying she got damaged goods but paid the invoice new invoice for shipping......
he.gif
..... They are still getting 50% I have spent lots and gotten 0% to hatch before..some people just don't get shipped eggs are not the same as going a getting an egg from a nest box and popping it in the incubator....ON a happy note I have 15 due to hatch that were old and hidden had to be by my 2 smallest hens found them muddy and nasty in a youngster hiding area..and an unknown age ... I popped them in to see what happened all 16 started only one quit...now to sell the chicks i really don't need 15 more dorkings

can't you refund the $ and cancel the invoice? If they told you your already getting reported I wouldn't send more eggs. Leave feedback and comment on the person. NOBODY can say shipped eggs will be 5/6 that would put every egg shipper into drastic debt. And every replacement egg is more $ your losing.
And how do they plan to prove damaged goods? Unless they took damaged egg pictures I would argue the feedback (If that possible anymore.) save the email/letter and forward to Ebay CS if the feedback is a neg.

They gave me positive feedback .haven't revised it..I will wait I kindly wrote them letting them know all the facts on shipped eggs..like every other person who sells ..I put the disclaimer on any ad stating I can only ensure they were intact when they left here etc that I cannot control ouside factors like shipping treatment or incubation..

They gave me positive feedback .haven't revised it..I will wait I kindly wrote them letting them know all the facts on shipped eggs..like every other person who sells ..I put the disclaimer on any ad stating I can only ensure they were intact when they left here etc that I cannot control ouside factors like shipping treatment or incubation..
I am actually writing one of these disclaimers up myself mb, can you share what you wrote? I have a bunch of bookmarks saved to other disclaimers, tough one for us is adding the live chicks/poultry disclaimers and guarantees. Its hard to know what to do as a small backyard flock owner, if I had tons of chickens to back up it would be a totally different story! I would add six extra eggs per pack right?!! and I agree completely with 5 acres.

I cant believe how many people pass off clears as infertile in shipped eggs and dont know that they should have checked for fertility before calling infert. I had a batch sent out and had 6 infertile I was told, the person had no clue that shipping can affect the chalaza, yolk etc and cause clears! I should add a link or two in to the disclaimer suggesting people breakout and check for fertility!

Anyways, if you dont want to post can you message me please! Thanks for the help!

Sally..here is what I add very simple but to the point...I can only guarantee that the eggs were in good condition when they left my hands..I cannot control how they are handled or how they are incubated..I will mail USPS priority which includes insurance. I wrap each egg in bubble wrap place inside a carton with packing material under and over....Sometimes I add that i will only ship eggs under 3 days old ....

Sally..here is what I add very simple but to the point...I can only guarantee that the eggs were in good condition when they left my hands..I cannot control how they are handled or how they are incubated..I will mail USPS priority which includes insurance. I wrap each egg in bubble wrap place inside a carton with packing material under and over....Sometimes I add that i will only ship eggs under 3 days old ....
thumbsup.gif

My first shipped eggs went into the mail to me today. I have three batches coming from three different sources. If all arrive on the same day, I plan on letting them sit a day then popping them in the incubator, but what if they are a day or two, or god forbid three days apart, do each get their own timetable, or do I try to get them all on the same schedule?

My first shipped eggs went into the mail to me today.  I have three batches coming from three different sources.  If all arrive on the same day, I plan on letting them sit a day then popping them in the incubator, but what if they are a day or two, or god forbid three days apart, do each get their own timetable, or do I try to get them all on the same schedule?

Well.....I just did the horror of staggered hatching......

If you do NOT have a separate hatcher, I would try to get them in the incubator as close to the same time as possible. One day different wont matter at all, but a week difference was painful.

So, if they come three days apart, I still think that would be fine.... Raising your humidity a little late for the 'soonest to hatch' group as well as stopping turning a little late, shouldn't hurt the first set or the next two sets.

My point? A little difference is no biggie, a big difference I found problematic.

I agree with Alaskan, let the first ones sit 48 hours and wait on the others. Putting them in the bator a day or two apart will not matter. Lockdown can wait until you see a pip and humidity can be raised early if needed. A hatch that takes three days from first pip to last pip is fine, one that takes longer presents a problem with needing to open the hatcher to get chicks out when others are pipped. Good luck, it's still fun!

I have a cabinet bator and two styro-hatchers. I wish (there I go again) that I had two more dedicated hatchers..........maybe this fall I'll add another..........

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everyone here know I tested the Express Shipping Is Better Handling theory, and it's not true. I paid $44.95 to ship eggs from Maine to CO, 22 eggs, shipped Saturday, didn't arrive until yesterday, 7 of the eggs were broken. Packaging wasn't the best but should have been adequate. There were NO markings on the box, which may have contributed - seems to me if you don't even say the package is fragile, it doesn't matter what kind of shipping you pay for, the package is going to be mauled. Really depressed at this point. With 7 of the eggs broken I don't hold out much hope for the other 15. They will rest the full 24 hours before going into the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom