The Great Guinnea Debate/Pros and cons.

I have 4 and wish I didn't. We are on 10 acres, but they can't seem to stay away from my neighbors yards. They are very loud and one is very aggressive. I had to try and contain them to satisfy my neighbor so I fenced them in 1/8 acre area with my chickens and they killed two of them. They do eat a lot of bugs and mine come in at night to a pen with a small bird hutch in it for food, water and safety.

Will they eat ants? We have snakes and ticks but also tons of fire ants and I'd love to get these hills off of my property... if they don't eat ants is there any breed of fowl or poultry thst does free range well and eat ants?

I'm not physically able to raise keets so started looking for older birds. The only ones available in our area had their wings clipped at birth and the farmer tells me the feathers will not grow back. I would not mind them not flying for now while they get used to what is home but would not want them to be more likely taken by a predator if they will never be able to fly.
From what I had read, their feather were supposed to fall and grow back in time. Does anyone know for sure who is right, the farmer or the others? Does it make a difference if you clip them at birth or is there a different way to clip them to prevent them from growing back?
I don't want to buy the birds if they will remain flightless.
Thanks

I'm not physically able to raise keets so started looking for older birds. The only ones available in our area had their wings clipped at birth and the farmer tells me the feathers will not grow back. I would not mind them not flying for now while they get used to what is home but would not want them to be more likely taken by a predator if they will never be able to fly.
From what I had read, their feather were supposed to fall and grow back in time. Does anyone know for sure who is right, the farmer or the others? Does it make a difference if you clip them at birth or is there a different way to clip them to prevent them from growing back?
I don't want to buy the birds if they will remain flightless.
Thanks

There are two different things at work here. There is wing (feather) clipping and there is pinioning. If the feathers are clipped, they will grow back and need to be clipped again (if desired) after each molt. If the wings are pinioned (the wing is removed at the last joint), they will not be able to fly and those feathers will never grow back because that part of the wing is gone.

I would never pinion any of my birds but it is a method that is used by at least the largest guinea raiser in the US. Their situation is far different from a back yard raiser and I do not fault them for using what works for them.

Thank you so much, R2elk. I will have to call the farmer back and ask if the birds were pinioned. I have a nasty feeling that that is what happened.

I see posts about them eating mice and snakes , has anyone ever had them go after moles ?

I know for a fact that mine go after mice and voles but I think it is unlikely for them to go after moles. Moles being underground creatures and guineas not being much of digging birds, it is unlikely they would run into each other. If they accidentally stumbled on a nest of baby moles I am sure they would help themselves.

I have raised guineas for several years. I've lost a few to foxes, and a couple were killed by my own dogs! Unfortunately, they seem to panic easily and forget that they can fly! Thus, they are easy to pick off by creatures chasing them. Other than this, I enjoy them and try to anticipate ways to protect them.

I have always wanted some Guineas but didn't know how they were to be around as far as friendliness or how much noise they make.
We have quite a few chickens, and I assume they get along with them as well or?

Thanks for the info/

Back
Top Bottom