The Great Tick v.s. Guinea Story

The Chickeneer

~A Morning's Crow~
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Central Valley California
Guineas vs Ticks
So this all started during the early months of last summer, when our dog was still alive......
sad.png
. An early spring had given rise to a stupendous tick season, which caught most of us by surprise. We started noticing more than usual....actually a lot more than usual. I would lift up the dog's food bowl and there would be tens of ticks under there and they would all scatter in sight of me. They were all over the dog also, I don't know how much time we spent taking ticks off of her, giving her tick baths, dips and everything else out there. Well our dog (Aster) died, and it was most likely due to Lyme disease.I didn't want to spray the yard, Im not a big fan of using chemicals, plus my neighbor already sprayed their yard, and the ticks weren't affected, most likely because they already developed a resistance to the pesticide.

Well I've had chickens my whole life, and had been on BYC for long enough to hear about a bird, known as the Guinea Fowl. So off we went, to a local swap meet where guineas were sold and we bought four of them. We kept them cooped up for a while then set them loose. They slept with the chickens and ducks in the coop at night, and free ranged in the yard during the day, as well as ate chicken feed from the feeder and lived a very happy life.

So we've had chickens, ducks, and guineas free ranging on our yard, and not a tick in sight for a long time, not really any other bugs either. So in March, we got ourselves a new puppy, she was a German Shepherd and was mostly black so we named her cobra. Cobra was a sweet little thing and never hurt any of the birds. Well once we got her, we started seeing ticks again., I would pull some off her, and would see more the next day. I then started to wonder, Why are there ticks on her again? Aren't the guineas doing their job? We live on less than an acre and have over 50 animals, most of which are poultry and they all range free, Are they not eating the bugs? well it started getting pretty bad, and I gave her a batch, as well as used dip, tried ACV and everything else I could think of.

Well one day Cobra killed one of the chickens, poor thing probably didn't mean to..... but I was pretty upset. So I kept her away for the chickens for about a week, in the side yard pen where we used to keep the other dog, its around 460 square feet, plenty of room. i fed her and watered her every day but that was it, I tried to ignore her as punishment for killing the chicken, and the dead thing tied around her neck. She hated it, she took it off a few times that week and ran away when I tried to put it back on her. I though she learned her lesson, so the next morning, I planned to take it off of her.

I walked toward the pen, she lay on the floor looking awfully depressed and her face turned away from me. I tried to get her up, and then i realized she wasn't breathing. She lay there stiff and dead. I flipped her over and what I saw was like nothing I had ever seen in my life. There were HUNDREDS of ticks all over her chest and legs. The big ones juicy with blood and the small ones crawling all over her dead body. I wanted to slap myself, punch myself for ignoring her and not checking her for ticks during her time out, I was mad I could have let that happen to her after what happened to our last dog. Poor, poor soul, that puppy died and I could have stopped it from happening simply by checking her and giving her a bath. I buried Cobra in the yard, and felt horrible the next few days.

I then got to thinking....Why? Why so many ticks on her with all the chickens and guineas and such wandering around? How? What was different?
Then It just hit me, and I didn't know how i couldn't have realized this before. We kept the dogs in a pen totally separated from the rest of the yard, it was completely inaccessible to any of the chickens, ducks, or guineas. Over time, the main yard was rid of its ticks, but the dog's part of the yard served as a safe haven for these ticks, where they multiplied in great numbers and became so concentrated there, because there was no place else for them to go without being eaten by our birds. This all made perfect sense.

I went to scope out the dog's little fenced off part of the yard, and it did not take long a t all to locate a tick. If I looked at the ground for ten seconds, I would see about five or so ticks crawling casually on the ground. This place was also overgrown with weeds, mostly foxtails. On the top of every foxtail, there were at least 7 to 10 ticks, EVERY FOXTAIL! This was crazy, the ticks were litterally without a doubt everywhere. There were probably thousands just in that little fenced off part of the yard. So then I planned an extermination, by the method of guineas. I would leave the guineas in there for a series of weeks and check the progress.
This is the tick infested environment.

These were the only foxtails after the guineas were in there for a week. I couldn't take pictures of them before, but there were much, much more of them on there.

Our Exterminators

The guineas have been in there already for one week, and I have to say I am surprised at what a great job they have done. Only a few foxtails carried maybe one or two ticks, and on the ground I saw absolutely NONE. I haven't fed them at all, they've been living off of pure forage. The plan is to leave them in there for another week to make sure the ticks are gone, then mow down all the weeds and grass, and finally, let the gates open so the guineas, chickens, and ducks can wander in and out of there freely. This Guinea v.s. Tick war shall be won by next month, the guineas being the victors. Sound like a good plan?

So if any of you are wondering if guineas really can eat all the ticks off your property, they truly can, especially provided that forage is the only means they have to eat.

Last edited:
Sorry for the loss of your dogs. For most they do become a part of the family. Had the dogs ever been treated for ticks with the liquid that you put on the skin and it goes throughout there system? This stuff works!

that was animal crulty to tie a dead chicken around the puppy's neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do not deserve a dog and maybe you need to tie the dead dog around your neck for a week now!!!!!
Let me just clear this up. Not trying to offend anyone, but it being animal cruelty is just your opinion. Many people here on BYC have tried it and sometimes it doesn't work because the dogs love it and just eat it, almost like giving them a candy necklace as some dogs do enjoy rolling around in carrion. The dead chicken itself doesn't bother the dog at all (or at least shouldn't). Its the fact that the dog does not get any praise or positive attention while it is wearing the chicken so that it associates the dead chicken negatively and will not kill anymore chickens. Of course this is how it is "supposed" to work but every dog is different and results vary widely. The only cruel thing that happened was that the dog was made host to a large number of ticks, most likely died of lyme disease, and if I had thoroughly checked on it while it was in "time out" the dog would still be alive. And as I said before, I had given the dog flea and tick baths as well as dip and have pulled so many of them off her. The reason I didn't spray the yard was because the neighbor tried it and it proved ineffective, plus I didn't want to put any poisons in the ground where all the chickens and ducks and guineas range. I did all that i could, I truly honestly did.

Anyways, the tick extermination is going good, the guineas are hard at work and I am waiting for this weekend to let them out of there so I can mow all the weeds down.I really do miss Cobra and thank you all for your sympathy.

Sorry about your dogs....however I'm not sure ticks can kill a healthy dog within a week. There was probably also something else at work in her. Dips and baths never work, the best thing I've found is Advantage or frontline and guineas! We have over 50 Guineas and still use frontline on the dogs. You can't be too careful.
Glad your guineas are doing the job for you.

Sorry about your dogs....however I'm not sure ticks can kill a healthy dog within a week. There was probably also something else at work in her. Dips and baths never work, the best thing I've found is Advantage or frontline and guineas! We have over 50 Guineas and still use frontline on the dogs. You can't be too careful.
Glad your guineas are doing the job for you.
They can. given enough of them. The dog becones anemic and weak, can go into shock and die.

RobertH

Back
Top Bottom